Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone! I have a newbie question regarding rsync. I'm using SLES10 on both servers: local client: IP xxx local backup server: IP yyy What I'm doing is start an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Talking NFS+rsync question...

Hi everyone!

I have a newbie question regarding rsync.

I'm using SLES10 on both servers:

local client: IP xxx
    local backup server: IP yyy

What I'm doing is start an NFS server from IP yyy, and from IP xxx, I'm doing a rsync -avz --delete source_folder nfs_destination_folder.

IP xxx (client to backup), has several files with different owners (john, betty, etc) and different groups (playground1, playground2). IP yyy (backup destination) does NOT have those users created on the system.

When rsync'ing with the above command, when looking at the destination server, instead of john, betty and groups, the owners are 1001, 1002, 106...which as I understand, they are john's and betty's uid from the source server.

The question is...what will happen if I "restore" from backup server to client server? will owners and groups stay like 1001, 1002, etc as well as groups or will they be re-mapped with the original owner's display name? Do I have to create the same users and groups in the backup server so there would be no problem during the restore point?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by keita_mog View Post
    The question is...what will happen if I "restore" from backup server to client server? will owners and groups stay like 1001, 1002, etc as well as groups or will they be re-mapped with the original owner's display name? Do I have to create the same users and groups in the backup server so there would be no problem during the restore point?
    A file ownership is basically the UID, if noone has that UID, you will see the number, if someone else has that UID - that person will be the owner.

So, if you reinstall the machine, adding a user ... Gotfried with UID 1000, then Gotfried will own all of johns files after the restore. The same goes for groups. Otherwise, the files will reappear as they are now.

Did this explain it to you?