Find the answer to your Linux question:
our mail server is on linux.yesterday when i went it was working fine but when i came back in the morning, it was crashed. all logs messages were empty and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mail server hacked

our mail server is on linux.yesterday when i went it was working fine but when i came back in the morning, it was crashed. all logs messages were empty and when rebooted it says cannot mount /proc/mounts and finally comes to maintenaince mode. now, when i try to open any file it says segmentation fault. all the files in rc.d directory are intact but i cann't understand where the error is.

Plz help
    Thanx in advance

Linux Newbie
    Hmmm,

Sounds like it can't read /etc/fstab or /etc/fstab is corrupt...

Did the machine crash? Did all the filesystems come up as they should?

Are you running from maintenece mode? (if you are / is mounted "read-only" and you need to remount it rw... (mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda1) )

/jonas

Just Joined!

Mail server Hacked

no it speaks "Segmentation Fault" for the every file u try to open. df and fdisk ar working fine. mount command doesn't work. it says the same Segmentation Fault.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Boot from a liveCD (gentoo-minimal is great for this - small ISO) and run an fsck on all your filesystems. If that doesn't fix it, whip out your backups and restore the box with a fresh install.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

You should not put the box backup if fsck works since it might be comprimised best bet is get the backups and reinstall.

Linux Enthusiast
    I would guess it is compromised too. Try and boot it up with 'init=/bin/sh'. Then when you get to the sh prompt, run 'init 1', and see if it spews out something about starting the bk daemon. It usually will, since /dev/null is read only at that point, and init is most probably b0rked. This is one of the common ways I find hacks on boxes that won't boot.

Let us know, and good luck.

Best,

Samuel
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!

mail server hacked

thanx friends for all ur posts. i already did the backup and reinstalled the system. if u have more suggestions plz post it here. thanx all of u for ur time.
    if i found it how was it done i will share with u all..

Thanx