Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, i use squid & SquidGuard to protect out schoolnet. In one of our rooms we want to block facebook.com too. So i make a new blacklist entrey for facebook.com. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

squidGuard reverse DNS

Hey,

i use squid & SquidGuard to protect out schoolnet.

In one of our rooms we want to block facebook.com too. So i make a new blacklist entrey for facebook.com. It works. The Problem is that the kids take now the ip address from facebook.com. They have an range. Is it possible to say squidGuard that he should block the revers dns for the Domains in the Blacklists too?

Thx.

double-x

By default squid should be doing a reverse and applying the blacklists. I'm not sure how the Squidguard overlay might impact that.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by double-x View Post
    Hey,

i use squid & SquidGuard to protect out schoolnet.

In one of our rooms we want to block facebook.com too. So i make a new blacklist entrey for facebook.com. It works. The Problem is that the kids take now the ip address from facebook.com. They have an range. Is it possible to say squidGuard that he should block the revers dns for the Domains in the Blacklists too?

Thx.

double-x
    I don't know much about squidguard, but if you are trying to block facebook you are in a world of trouble.

You block the ip, the kids will use an alternative site, perhaps one in another language.
    You block all the ips, they will use proxies.
    You block proxies, they will just have their home page forward it.
    Block that, they'll use hamachi and VNC into their home computer to look at it.
    Block all of the internet!? Then they will just use their phone's internet.

You are going to need one really big hose to fight all the fires.

Quote Originally Posted by xurious View Post
    I don't know much about squidguard, but if you are trying to block facebook you are in a world of trouble.

You block the ip, the kids will use an alternative site, perhaps one in another language.
    You block all the ips, they will use proxies.
    You block proxies, they will just have their home page forward it.
    Block that, they'll use hamachi and VNC into their home computer to look at it.
    Block all of the internet!? Then they will just use their phone's internet.

You are going to need one really big hose to fight all the fires.
    There's an old aphorism in security circles to the effect that you can't prevent risk, you can only reduce it. And I'm not trolling on the subject of whether Facebook is a risk in this case. That's a question for the school to determine, as it apparently has.