Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, all this is my first post but im resonable linux skilled. Im running a VPS account with Debian Linux Lenny, Virtualmin/Webmin. This has only recently started but i dont ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Process's getting 'Killed' - no log, plenty free ram - Debian Lenny

Hi, all this is my first post but im resonable linux skilled.

Im running a VPS account with Debian Linux Lenny, Virtualmin/Webmin.

This has only recently started but i dont know at what point, as havent done much on it recently but applied some updates.

Theres always at least 50% free ram when it happens (of 512mb) and basically no CPU activity.

Ive even tried killing off all process's apart from what i believed to be needed to test, (init, sshd, loggers)

I can find mention of the action anywhere in any logs, even though i have klogd and syslog running

It seems to happen at varying intervals fairly regularly with certain processes.

Ive had it happen with a big 'rm -r'

but more regularly with make's , make install's, apt-get (while its awaiting your reply to proceed), and rtorrent.

im sure there's others though but this is what ive been using.

all i get is "Killed" and back to prompt,

if i type "echo $?" i get '137'

there has been some node performance issues at night during backups with the host but they say they havn't implemented any limits and are upgrading hardware to resolve.

thankyou,
    Hayden.
    Australia.

You may have run out of time. Exit codes has some useful info on this.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Just Joined!
    ok i found out what it was... Jumba (my host) have a ban on anything related or even mentioning the word 'torrent' killing it off, that as ive found from my personal experience the hard way will include apt-get install/removes , rm, wget, make, configure, and pretty much anything as well obviously the process's themselves once running like rtorrent

oh well...

thanks for the help.