Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have Squid with Caching enabled. 1. Is there a maximum size I can have on cache? I currently setup at 3GB or 3000mb, can I have as large ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Caching Server

Hi,

I have Squid with Caching enabled.

1. Is there a maximum size I can have on cache? I currently setup at 3GB or 3000mb, can I have as large as I want? I have 500GB hdd on that server, so I have lots of room for cache.

2. how to configure "Retention" ? so the older cache will auto delete.

3. what will happen if the cache is FULL ?

Thanks!

1. reading small portions from a hdd cache can be slower than downloading it
    2. a cache invalidates itself
    3. depends on the caching strategy used

Just Joined!
    So, do you recommend adjustting HDD cache to large size? say 10GB ? or higher?

It's like asking: "Would you recommend penicillin or mixed banana?"

If you want to make a milkshake take the banana but if you suffer from a bacteria infection take the penicillin. It simply depends on the usecase.

How many users connect through the proxy and are they located within a LAN or also remotely? Is the hdd cache a solid state or a spinning drive at 5400rpm? How often and how many times do these users access the same website within less than a hour? How fast is your internet connection?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloschüssel View Post
    How many users connect through the proxy and are they located within a LAN or also remotely? Is the hdd cache a solid state or a spinning drive at 5400rpm? How often and how many times do these users access the same website within less than a hour? How fast is your internet connection?
    - 100 users connected to the proxy and located within a LAN.
    - HDD cache is 7200RPM spinning drive
    - users open sites in ramdom url, cnn, facebook, nationalgegraphics, gaming sites, etc.
    - 6Mbps internet connection.

Thanks...

i doubt the 10gb cache will ever come even close to full. but hey, if you can afford it, bigger is always better.

But I would cache small stuff (< 500kb) in memory as that tends to be faster, specially when the hard drive is spinning like a wheelie and doing other jobs.

Caching bigger stuff (>> 500kb) to hdd would make sense.