Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All I have been tasked into looking into the best open source mail server and mail client for our ubuntu server to provide a replacement for our current exchange-outlook ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    tqz
    Just Joined!

Which Mail server/Client

Hello All

I have been tasked into looking into the best open source mail server and mail client for our ubuntu server to provide a replacement for our current exchange-outlook setup.

I have very little and limited exp in Linux and my knowledge on mail servers/clients is also very limited. So was just curious as to what the views were on this forum and what peoples actual experience in using the various servers/clients are.

The requirements besides being able to send and recieve emails that I can think of on top of my head are as follows:-

• Ease of use
    • Calender - would be good if it can be made available to selected users
    • Access from home
    • Filter/Block junk mail
    • spell checks
    • Have private as well as public email folders
    • Read reciepts
    • Easy to setup and maintain

There is probably a whole list of other important requirements but as I said that is all that I could think of at the time of writing this post.

I did do some googling and looked into Zimbra and Thunderbird so peoples views on these products or others would be much appreciated.

Thanks in adv for any help!
    t.

Just Joined!
    Thunderbird with lightning plug in (calendar) is probably the best client. As lightning the calendar is a plug in, it can be given to whomever you want who you dont want.

Dovecot - IMAP and POP3 - its what I use for the company I work for and is really good.

Postfix - SMTP - again, what I use and is really good.

SquirrelMail - cool web based email which can be used in conjunction with the above and can be accessed from anywhere.