Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody, I have a problem with the permission of the directories under /proc, they are readable and accessible only by Owner (they have permission 500 instead of the usual ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

With PS you can not control the processes of another user

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with the permission of the directories under /proc, they are readable and accessible only by Owner (they have permission 500 instead of the usual 555) As a consequence, the processes are visible only to the Owners or to Root. For exampleif I want to check if there is mysql

# ps -ef | grep mysqld
    mysql 2611 1 0 12:14 ? 00:00:06 /usr/sbin/mysqld

I see it only with the user mysql or with root because the directory has permission 500
    dr-x------ 6 mysql mysql 0 2011-02-11 12:14 /proc/2611/

this problem obstacles the functioning of some applications that should check the existence of some processes managed by other users. At the beginning all was working well. But after a while the problem appeared and I donít know which is the reason of it.

Can you tell me how to restore the standard management of permissions of / proc?]

I have a Ubuntu server Maverick 10:10.

the FS /proc is mounted with default options :

Code:

~$ cat /etc/fstab
    /dev/sda1 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /dev/sda2 /home ext4 defaults 0 2
    /dev/sda3 none swap defaults 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    dev /dev devtmpfs rw 0 0

# mount
    rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
    /dev/root on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,barrier=1,data=ordered)
    none on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    none on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
    /dev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=1006296k,nr_inodes=251574,mode=7 55)
    none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
    none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime)
    none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755)
    none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    /dev/sda2 on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    If your permissions on /proc changed and it wasn't something you did I'd start by running chkrootkit and checking every log I had because you've probably been hacked.

If you've accidentally changed permissions that's a mess. I once did a chown -R from / meaning to change only the ownership of a specific subdir but left out the sub dir. It was just easier to reinstall than to try to reset the correct owners and permissions after that. If it was just /proc the solution is simple
    chmod a+r *