Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed CentOS 5.5 and the bind package that came with it, 9.3.6. There is no /etc/named.conf. I know i can create one but i am concerned that it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot find named.conf CentOS 5.5

I just installed CentOS 5.5 and the bind package that came with it, 9.3.6. There is no /etc/named.conf. I know i can create one but i am concerned that it did not install properly. If there is supposed to be a named.conf file there why does it not exist? Also this is the first time I have configured bind any how to help would be greatly appreciated.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    That's possible. I just checked this out on my SL6 (Scientific Linux 6 - RHEL6) system. Before I installed the bind package, there was no /etc/named.conf. After I installed it, there was with sane (but possibly not appropriate) default settings.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    If you installed Bind from Centos Distribution packages, this installs Bind in chroot jail environment, and your config file is in: /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    the only files i have in that directory are localtime and rndc.key. I guess my biggest concern is whether or not this installed right and if it did then why are all the howto's on the net telling me to look for files that don't exist. I can't follow a how to if i can't find the files it is telling me to find. As far as what i installed it was just the default that came with CentOS 5.5, i do not know if it is chroot or not. Please advise.

Just Joined!
    install caching-namingserver

Just Joined!
    the bind package should have also included the config file based on running rpm -ql | grep named.conf. An alternate source will be at /usr/share/doc/bind-9.3.6/sample/etc. just copy the sample file to /etc directory.