Find the answer to your Linux question:
OS: Ubuntu 10.04 Server or Debian File server: Setup using Samba Print server: Setup using CUPS DB Server: Stuck between MySQL and PostgreSQL Auth Server: Not sure yet, was looking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Seeking Opinions on server setups

File server: Setup using Samba
    Print server: Setup using CUPS
    DB Server: Stuck between MySQL and PostgreSQL
    Auth Server: Not sure yet, was looking for opinions here. Was thinking I could probably just use some kind of kerbero's setup or something.
    Mail: Courier as back end, was wondering what would be good for a front end for it or if i could just get away with using Thunderbird as a front end.
    Active Directory: 389 Directory Server
    Antivirus/Spam Filter: MailScanner
    Backup: ??? Alot to choose from so not really sure

Ok I will admit this is for a school project. But the kicker here is I'm the only student using Linux and my teacher opposed the idea.

I'm not looking for an answer to anything just some programs to look at that would provide better options.

I have done this a few times before but now I'm looking for better options now that I actually know quite a bit more about Linux and the different applications it can use.

If this is deemed ok by the Forum Admins I'd like to say I'm trying to spend as little money as I can on the actual software for the servers.

Thank You Very Much,
    Laggy/Dethklok
    Last edited by dethklok02895; 03-09-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Found Filter/Forgot backup tool

I don't know much about MailScanner - but the rest of that stuff there is pretty much GPL and completely free.

For your auth server, you can put the right schemas into your 389 Directory Server and have it authenticate your Linux users and Windows users with the same accounts.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Ok. Thanks Rox

But I'm still searching for something for backups.
    Also MySQL don't you have to pay for it if you want the full functionality in an enterprise environment? I remember looking it it before thought you had to pay for it that's why I also listed PostgreSQL as an option for the Database

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    As far as I can tell, the whole thing is available under a dual-license - you can just get the one you want, check the MySQL Wikipedia Page.

You can always try out one of the forks if you can't rationalise the license terms.

If your needs match Postgres, of course, you're free to use that if you prefer.

My backups are getting pretty big - I just spool off a tar file onto a separate hard disk in a separate machine over the gigabit lan (still takes over a day to do a baseline dump of my files into a single tarfile with no compression, and passing it through gzip slows it down). After this I keep incremental backups until it's time to do a new baseline.

Ok and the mail question can I use thunderbird as a front end? I've made a mail server before but I used that stupid Squirrel mail before as a front end for it and didnt like it at all

"That stupid Squirrel" is the one I use. It's actually quite flexible so if you didn't like it, you could probably have made much closer to what you want.

It's not like using POP3/IMAP - it uses those services in the background, but presents its interface over https (you did configure it to use https didn't you? That's the only way I use it - 'cos you're sending your email credentials over the web, and you want to try and keep things secure...)

I use thunderbird too - and I use IMAP over SSL connections to my server for that. It's a different beast to Squirrelmail, though. I use Thunderbird by choice when I use my own computers, but when connecting from work machines, I use the web interface of squirrelmail.

Just make sure your mail system has imap or pop enabled, and you can connect how you want. Always use the secured versions if you can, though.

Oh sorry about the squirrelmail ref Rox. But It's just when i used it like everything stopped responding....although I believe the computer stopped being able to use the loopback address after i configured the Spam and Antivirus. So I really shouldn't blame it on squirrelmail.

Quote Originally Posted by dethklok02895 View Post
    Oh sorry about the squirrelmail ref Rox. But It's just when i used it like everything stopped responding....although I believe the computer stopped being able to use the loopback address after i configured the Spam and Antivirus. So I really shouldn't blame it on squirrelmail.
    I didn't take it as an insult, no apology needed. I was merely trying to encourage you to think a little more deeply about it than just throw it away out of hand. Squirrelmail seems to be the best of the open source web front ends for email - and it's a really nice tool if you can get it set up right.

On another note, I don't run any anti-virus stuff on my mail server, I leave that to the Windwos users to manage themselves. For anti-spam I use real-time black hole services, and only internal IP's are allowed to relay. It works for me.