Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi everybody, can someone help me with the following issue ? my web host runs a linux server, and when i try to load a file iin my broswer (which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation non latin urls

hi everybody,
    can someone help me with the following issue ?
    my web host runs a linux server, and when i try to load a file iin my broswer (which i have uploaded in my web space) with non latin words it gives a 404 error (file not found). for example i have uploaded mydomain.com/νεο.html the word "νεο" is non latin. so when i try to reach this document from my broswer i get the error. is there a way to fix it ?

thanks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What browser are you using, and have you enabled unicode support for it? I have been able to connect to web sites with non-ascii characters in the URL with both Firefox and Chrome. Even with Hangul (Korean) and Chinese characters.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    hi and thanks for the reply
    i used firefox, ie8, chrome and safari with win xp.
    i called the host and he told me that a linux server cannot support non latin characters. so i guess the only solution i am left with would be a rewrite rule on the server to translate the incoming request to something linux understands ?
    i didnt know that linux cant support non latin characters.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is currently a problem for many web servers, especially since the standard Linux file systems (ext2/3/4) don't support multi-byte character encodings, at least if they contain NUL bytes in them. They support the UTF-8 unicode character set, which means that some asian and other character sets where neither of the bytes in a character is NUL, will work. This is likely your problem in this case. That said, HFS-Plus (Apple), and NTFS (Windows) do support 16-bit Unicode encodings and current Linux systems support both - I have HFS-Plus it built into my SL6/RHEL6 workstation now and use occasionally it to access Mac discs. I don't know anything about its stability and performance, other than it works though. The Linux ntfs-3g support is quite good, and that I use frequently when working with client Windows system discs.

So, if your hosting service is amenable to creating an NTFS or HFS partition on your system and configuring your web server appropriately, you might be able to use that.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    hi Rubberman,
    thanks for the insight of the linux internals. my knowledge on linux is not adequate since i work mostly using windows systems but i will transfer your reply to my web host and ask him to proceed with the appropriate changes.
    thanks for your time