Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have just configured postfix as "separate domains, non-UNIX accounts" according to postfix.org's readme. I can see that test e-mails sent to my VIRTUAL account (let it be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Postfix configured - now how to read and send emails of virtual users?

Hi all,

I have just configured postfix as "separate domains, non-UNIX accounts" according to postfix.org's readme.

I can see that test e-mails sent to my VIRTUAL account (let it be user1<at>mydomain.com) appear in the correct destination dir (/var/spool/mail/virtual/mydomaincom/new). I did also some telnet tests and was able to send mail from account user1<at>mydomain.com successfully.

Now I would like to read mails I have received. With a mail text client like alpine. I can see some configuration options in Alpine:

Personal Name
    User Domain
    SMTP Server (for sending)
    NNTP Server (for news)
    Inbox Path

and some other but when I set Personal name as user1 and User Domain as mydomain.com and Inbox Path as /var/spool/mail/virtual/mydomaincom I get an error:

Can't open (/var/spool/mail/virtual/mydomaincom) invalid remote specification

Note that user1<at>mydomain.com UNIX account does not exist - it is only a VIRTUAL user of postfix.

Could anyone tell me where could I look further? I can not find the answer anywhere...

Best Regards
    Rob

I believe you are going to need to configure another external program for Postfix to be able to handoff the messages for storage. I could be wrong, but I believe a mail spool does not store messages in a format sufficient for most (maybe any) mail clients to read them. I believe it is only a temporary storage location for Postfix before it hands it off to something else, either a program that stores the messages in an appropriate format, or another Postfix process to send the messages elsewhere.

Just Joined!
    But how? That's the question... What is that's program name?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Aaaah, okay.

You should probably start here: Postfix Add-on Software.

On that page, you will find links to what I have come across as the most common POP/IMAP servers that run with Postfix.
    1) Dovecot - Dovecot
    2) Cyrus - Project Cyrus
    3) Courier - The Courier IMAP server

Of course, you will need to read the relevant section on this page: Postfix Howtos and FAQs.

Finally, some of the systems listed under web mail on the addons page provide a web interface to email along with POP and IMAP access.

Hope that helps.

Just Joined!
    "squirrelmail" was the answer Thank you very much!