Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed MySQL from source on a FreeBSD box on several occassions but I opted to give the rpm a go when I installed it earlier onto my RH7.3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

MySQL rpm and starting issues

I have installed MySQL from source on a FreeBSD box on several occassions but I opted to give the rpm a go when I installed it earlier onto my RH7.3 box.

It looks like the mysqld daemon is running.I can also see the data location but I cannot seem to get into mysql. Actually I cannot see mysql or mysqladmin. I have installed MySQL-4.0.13-server.rpm. Do I need to install other rpm as well?

Any Ideas about where I went wrong?

Cheers

looks like I needed the client as well

Linux Engineer
    Use locate to try to find your mysql-binary like

Code:
    locate mysql
    And check if you find anything...maybe the PATH-variable was not updated or something. If you find mysql-binary try to execute it on direct path like /usr/local/bin/mysql..

Regards

Regards

Andutt

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks,

It was working fine after installing the client as well. When I restarted this morning it didn't cause it could not find the mysql.sock file. Turned out that the mysqld daemon was not running. It was my understanding that by installing it from rpm the daemon would be automatically started.
    Being new to linux, where would the rpm place the startup scripts?

Cheers

Linux Guru
    When you install the RPM, it does install a startup script, but it doesn't actually set it up to be started automatically. To set it up to be automatically started on boot, use the service configuration program that comes with the system. I don't remember its name on RH7.3, though. Try serviceconf. And make sure to activate it in runlevel 3, 4 and 5.

Linux Engineer
    USe chkconfig on rh.
    Regards

Andutt