Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I am new here and in the Linux world, so I have a beginner-question. I really hope you can help me! I've installed Debian 6, MySQL, PHP, Apache, SSH ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FTP over SSH with PAM

Hello!

I am new here and in the Linux world, so I have a beginner-question. I really hope you can help me!

I've installed Debian 6, MySQL, PHP, Apache, SSH and proFTPd. What I want is, that proFTPd is connectet with the MySQL database and only over SSH to log-in on my sftp server.

Now i've heard, that i need PAM to do this, and I've installed the libpam-mysql package. But I dont know how I now have to configurate which file for PAM and I dont found a good how-to.

Does someone have a good link? Or can someone help me directly?
    I did not know much about the things, so of course it is also possible that I proceed completely wrong. However, it must be SSH, FTPs not an option.

And excuse my bad english, in my language it doesnt exist a lot of linux-support.

Thank you very very much!

Greetings
    Daniel

hi,

Code:
    ~# apt-cache search pam | grep mysql
    libpam-mysql - PAM module allowing authentication from a MySQL server
    To configure proftp to use pam authentication, >GOOGLE< may be of help.

Googling a little more gave this: Linux.com :: Set up a virtual FTP server with pam-mysql

if you have SSH access
    an easy way BOTH directions (upload/download) to communicate/exchange data with your server is to use rsync

rsync is default (normally) on all linux LAMP servers and easy to get back up your MySQL dbases to your offline PC or vv as well as to upload or download any number of modified files.

easy and secure way to connect is using server key authentication and disable password authentication in your server config