Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a simple Linux server connected to the internet with a static IP address. all users without any limitation can:1-use internet 2-save/modify/delete files on server 3-can send/receive emails using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation SOS-Linux server- how can i change IP of smtp

I have a simple Linux server connected to the internet with a static IP address.
    all users without any limitation can:1-use internet 2-save/modify/delete files on server 3-can send/receive emails using Mozilla Thunderbird (IMAP mail server-outgoing server SMTP)

My internet connection was slow, so I made a new contract.I simply plugged the new line to the server and I realized that all the users can happily use internet and can receive email, BUT they cannot send email!
    I also realized that in Thunderbird>Account Setting>Outgoing Server SMTP>edit in Server Name is still the old IP address, so I changed it to the new IP; But it dosn't work and Thunderbird give an error saying that he cannot find SMTP blablabla

I was informed that I must access to the Linux server and change the IP inside the server... I downloaded PuTTY and Login with port 22 and then password...Now I see a frightening black screen with rootAToffice:~# , would you please tell me what should I do? I do not know any command of linux, so how can I do that?

This is a critical situation and I am unsure if I can advise all the way, but a few important points to consider in order to avoid being blacklisted on most global networks is:

for sending out mail you should use a fully resolving domain name situation
    hence you need a public domain name that resolves correctly for all mail.
    such settings above all are made in your NS.
    your own NS that you apparently use, needs to have proper settings for - let's say;

stmp.yourdomain.tld
    pop.yourdomain.tld
    this above may well be the same for in and out such as
    mail.yourdomain.tld

without proper NS configuration, a mail service for out-going mail into the world - based simply on IP - may soon be considered spam and mail from such senders be permanently blocked or rejected.

I understand the reason or motivation attempt to do such at home on your home based server, IF you have a dedicated IP and proper broadband connection to the world.
    if your www connection slow and the number of users larger or growing,
    then would be the question why at home if you could use a simple dedicated server for a honest and affordable annual fee directly connected to a backbone at a reputable server farm.

have a look at your mail (MX record) relevant NS records and see if that fixes all your problem.

OK you are logged into the server and it looks like you are root already.
    What OS are you using?

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Email IP Address change

Quote Originally Posted by hans51 View Post
    This is a critical situation and I am unsure if I can advise all the way, but a few important points to consider in order to avoid being blacklisted on most global networks is:

for sending out mail you should use a fully resolving domain name situation
    hence you need a public domain name that resolves correctly for all mail.
    such settings above all are made in your NS.
    your own NS that you apparently use, needs to have proper settings for - let's say;

stmp.yourdomain.tld
    pop.yourdomain.tld
    this above may well be the same for in and out such as
    mail.yourdomain.tld

without proper NS configuration, a mail service for out-going mail into the world - based simply on IP - may soon be considered spam and mail from such senders be permanently blocked or rejected.

I understand the reason or motivation attempt to do such at home on your home based server, IF you have a dedicated IP and proper broadband connection to the world.
    if your www connection slow and the number of users larger or growing,
    then would be the question why at home if you could use a simple dedicated server for a honest and affordable annual fee directly connected to a backbone at a reputable server farm.

have a look at your mail (MX record) relevant NS records and see if that fixes all your problem.
    By the way, what type of email software (sendmail, postfix, etc) are you using?

I don't think I ever got that.