Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Im new here, and to Linux in general so take it easy on me. I currently have a Synology 210j NAS that is basically a NAS on steroids. Its ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New Server Build with General Questions

Hi,

Im new here, and to Linux in general so take it easy on me.

I currently have a Synology 210j NAS that is basically a NAS on steroids. Its has served well for to home of network backups and web hosting for a year now, but im looking at building a server that will run Linux to meet the growing demand of home and business needs.

I have the build decided and i know what i need to do, but i have a few questions concerning some things. First off here is my build:

• ASUS P8B WS
    • Intel Xeon E3-1230
    • CORSAIR XMS3 8GB 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1333
    • CORSAIR TX650 V2 650W
    • iStarUSA D-400P-7 4U Rackmount Server Case
    • iStarUSA BPU-340SATA-BLUE SATA Hot-Swap Cage
    • NZXT SEN-001LX Sentry LX

I currently have 2 Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB drives in the NAS in a RAID 1 (mirror) configuration. Now, in the new server I was planning on re-using these drives and possibly adding more to fill out a RAID 5 or RAID 10 array. i have about 500GB full on my current NAS and on the new server i would most likely host my own email and multiple websites. I'd also use it for local backups and network file sharing. So my questions are would you advise going with RAID 5 or getting 2 more drives and going for RAID 10? Also the mobo i have chosen has a RAID card built in, should i use that or go with an external RAID card so i can move the drives to a new server in the future?

I have tried getting the basic server up on my desktops Ubuntu 11.04 dual-boot (which is the distro id use for the server) and have gotten it mostly set up and take notes on how to do it all. My last question to you guys is, do you have any tips or other general knowledge that you think might be useful to me?

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate any help you can give!

*sorry for not providing links to the items, due to forum rules i cannot.*

Thanks,
    Nat

Just Joined!
    Bump and i've been reading about mail servers and found a guide on how to do it at http: //flurdy.com/docs/postfix/ (Sorry i cant post links) and i understand how to set up the server but what i dont really understand is how add email accounts or do something i need which is host emails for multiple domains. So i need nathan@domainone.com to have a septate email inbox from nathan@domaintwo.com and no the same. And also can Post fix server as the SMTP client because i didnt see that listed anywhere in the tutorial.

Thanks!