Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok guys, here is the issue and I'm sure its something really easy to figure out, but this is my first time setting up Samba. I have two machines, one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba question

Ok guys, here is the issue and I'm sure its something really easy to figure out, but this is my first time setting up Samba.

I have two machines, one running RH9 and the other running WinXP SP2. I have set up Samba on the RH9 machine and have gotten it up and running. Now for my two problems (which are probably the same issue):

From the Windows box I can see the Linux machine, but it says that I cannot access it to bring my files back down or upload them to the Linux machine.

Problem two comes from the Linux box where I am able to mount the share and view what is in the Windows shared folder and drag it up to the Linux box, but I cannot push any files back down from Linux to Windows.

Like I said, probably the same issue, but I'm just interested.

Also, if you were to need to see my .conf file, let me know and I'll get it when I get home

Thanks!

Use security mode: user in your Samba config.
    And make sure that user is also in the Samba userlist.
    (Configure auto sync between unix and samba users... )

Now you can map the linux share using your samba username and password.

One other thing, very important.

Lets say you are sharing: /data
    Make sure that data is owned by group: users (that the user, for example tester, is also member of the group user.)
    And that the write permissions are set correctly.
    To allow everyone regarding group or user to write in /data type : chmod 777 /data

This could also be the reason why you cannot write to your share at this moment.
    Try the chmod thing first (man chmod) and then if that doesn't work change your samba config.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    I'll give that a shot when I get home today

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwalin
    I'll give that a shot when I get home today
    Ok. Let me know if you run into trouble...

---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    Will do, thanks

Just Joined!
    Ok, after being away for some time, I have decided to sit down and try this again. Been busy so I havent had a chance to pursue this issue.

So here is where I stand now. I am able to sit at my windows box and see the Linux machine. When I try to access it, the password prompt comes up on the Windows box, I am able to put in the user name and password that I set up in Samba, but I cannot connect to my Linux box.

Any suggestions?

Just Joined!
    Nevermind guys.... I was just missing how to set up my windows box account a little differently