Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Im kind of new to linux community, but ive been working on linux servers for a while now so i know my way around the console/installation etc. However bind ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sendmail/Bind new account or redirect

Hi

Im kind of new to linux community, but ive been working on linux servers for a while now so i know my way around the console/installation etc.
    However bind related things have always made little sense to me so i could use some help in setting up or redirecting an email.
    What i have is a webserver with a domain+I-P
    lets say that the domain is Xand IP is Y
    Now, a client wants to register/own an email account with his name followed by [at]X
    My employer suggested me to redirect all email from that server to another server that handles email, but if thatīs too complicated, i can create an email account at my server, and install squirrel mail for client login.

I would really appreciate if someone could give me these couple of lines necessary+files where they go to.
    Last edited by scorpion9; 06-13-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: forum restrictions

Just Joined!
    Hi scorpion9,
    I'm only modestly experienced with sendmail. Its the kind of thing I hammer into position and it seems to work forever. I think I understand your post and I think your saying that you have two machines and you would like one to handle web related things and the other machine to handle email?

Assuming you can expose at least the relevant ports of each machine to the Internet, you can use the DNS MX record to just point to the email machine and the DNS A record to point to the other machine. I think this will accomplish what you want.

I hope this helps

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMicek View Post
    Hi scorpion9,
    I'm only modestly experienced with sendmail. Its the kind of thing I hammer into position and it seems to work forever. I think I understand your post and I think your saying that you have two machines and you would like one to handle web related things and the other machine to handle email?

Assuming you can expose at least the relevant ports of each machine to the Internet, you can use the DNS MX record to just point to the email machine and the DNS A record to point to the other machine. I think this will accomplish what you want.

I hope this helps

Thanks for the reply
    That was about the info i got myself.
    The part i dont know is the Bind part.
    Where does the mx/a go?
    Do i need to create a new zone for that or do i use the default localhost.
    btw. here are the files in my bind folder
    db.0 db.255 db.local named.conf named.conf.options zones.rfc1918
    db.127 db.empty db.root named.conf.local rndc.key

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close