Find the answer to your Linux question:
My parents want me to setup a home server for them using Linux. From what I understand, they want a proxy server for web filtering (still kids at home), a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux Home proxy, file, backup serveer

My parents want me to setup a home server for them using Linux. From what I understand, they want a proxy server for web filtering (still kids at home), a file server for sharing music and videos, a backup server, but still be able to run their voip and use the current wireless router as an access point.

I'm thinking about using Ubuntu or openSUSE, but still doing research. Does anyone know of a good tutorial that I could go to or suggestions of what OS to use?

Thanks!
    "Do or do not...there is no try" -Yoda
    History is a set of lies agreed upon by the winners.
    Linux is user friendly, not idiot friendly.
    Linux User 437442

Trusted Penguin
    sorry, don't know of any one tutorial that will do all you want. However...

Check out Dans Guardian for a Linux web content filtering solution. I don't use it personally, but a friend does and has been using it for years and loves it.

For backups, there are many Linux solutions, ranging from Enterprise solutions to scripting rsync. But check out Bacula, a free open source solution that supports Windows clients.

For audio/video, again, there is a bunch of stuff out there. I personally just host my files on my Linux box, and share them out to the Windows clients using Samba (on the Linux side). Then the Windows clients can use whatever they want to play the media. There are more sophisticated solutions out there for Linux, though (think streaming media).

Not sure what you mean about voip.

The Linux router should not interfere with your wireless router as an access point. Your Linux box should be physically connected to the wireless router, though (i.e, CAT5 ethernet cable), and should probably be running a firewall (iptables) too, but Dans Guardian might do some of that, too, i don't know.

As far as distros go, I'm a fan of Fedora/CentOS - the community is so big and they've been around forever and Fedora has solid backing from Red Hat. But Ubuntu is popular, too...