Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, my name is Greg and I'm starting a new software company called Roadkill Studios. Our website is at http://www.REMOVED.com if you care to take a look. My problem is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New company needs help with email server

Hello, my name is Greg and I'm starting a new software company called Roadkill Studios. Our website is at http://www.REMOVED.com if you care to take a look. My problem is this: The email server I've been using is a free demo of Communigate Pro. And for several reasons, I am unhappy with this program. I would much rather use my own email server such as exim or sendmail, but the problem is I don't know anything about them. I've tried numerous times going over the tutorials on the internet but none of them seem to work because I have no idea what I'm doing. I was able to get Apache and telnet and ftp and php and perl all working, but email is tricky. I also have no idea how to do MySQL. If anybody knows a *very* good tutorial on the internet please tell me! I need something that acutally explains what's going on instead of just telling me to do certain things, because I won't learn that way and I ALWAYS mess it up when I follow those tutorials. Or, if anybody out there would care to just spend a couple of quick minutes and give me pointers on how to start learning, that would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks
    -Greg

IMO, postfix is a pretty good solution also, maybe a little more secure then sendmail, and easier to setup the exim

Linux Newbie
    Hi Greg,

If you want a good mailserver and haven't got a whole lot of experience I suggest running Fedora Core or Red Hat and running std install will give you a sendmail server.

There sendmail.cf is also quite easy to change to what *most* users want for there mail-server.

I'll be happy to help you with any and all questions about sendmail and MySQL.

Cheers

Jonas

PS: With that sendmail server I would run openwebmail (www.openwebmail.org), a very nice webmail client with some nifty features... DS
    --
    in Linux Computing we Trust