Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have bind installed and registered my domain name servers in my registrar and is pointing to my vps server that running bind9 , the forward zone works great and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question bind9 reverse dns zone issue !

i have bind installed and registered my domain name servers in my registrar and is pointing to my vps server that running bind9 , the forward zone works great and apache,ftp server and mail server are working great.

i need to make my reverse zone works to pass gmail,yahoo,msn ptr record check !
    i used some tutorials on linux forums to make my reverse zone , the only thing that was mysterious is that all tutorials use class c ip addressees and it seems they use their reverse zone only for local purposes !

i have a class a ip assigned and i need reverse dns query for it !

the issue is that when i ssh to vps i can dnslookup my ip address and it returns my domain. but when i dslookup in internet , it says can't find the domain for your ip !

suppose that my ip address is : 69.210.140.250

i have named my zone : 250.140.210.69.in-addr.arpa

i know that this information is insufficient but the forum raise an error when i submit zone files content cause of external urls blah blah !!

If the service provider hasn't delegated those pointer records to your server you are going to have to ask them to update their records for you.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

above if you run your vps at home - thus use an IP from your ISP

if you run your server on a regular hosting company (server farm) then you either ask your host
    or in many cases (my host) the host has a customer control panel for your basic stuff such as reverse dns
    if your server hosted, login to your customer account and look if there is a config option for you