Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey guys i just installed slackware 10 on my mchaine and i'm connected to a lan honsted on a win nt station, we have an intranet runing on NT and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

joining windows NT domain

hey guys i just installed slackware 10 on my mchaine and i'm connected to a lan honsted on a win nt station, we have an intranet runing on NT and i need to join it, i need to be able to browse the intranet can somone pleas give e any idea or maybe a tutorial that might help
    thanks alot

-dewey-

Linux User
    samba would be a good start. lot's of docs and tutorials on the net. just google for it.. .

Registered User #345074

Linux Newbie
    Hi,

Normally you don't need to join the NT domain for you stuff to work anyway...

I think this is your case as well.

Cheers

Jonas
    --
    in Linux Computing we Trust

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You don't need to join the Domain just add the same users on the Slackware box as on the domain. (The ones that actually are going to need the Slack share) Also create a smbpasswd file with the exact same user names and passwords as the domain
    in terminal
    smbpasswd -a <username same as windows and linux >
    <same passwd>
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Engineer
    You must be aware that this only works with WindowsNT domain. Windows 2000 and up use the SID as well as the User/Pass so this solution wouldnt work.
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Works at my house
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Engineer
    Are you using with samba? or directly accessing the network with the User/Pass... ?
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

If I log onto the domain it automatically logs me into samba as long as my username and passwd are the same in /etc/samba/smbpasswd as they are on the domain.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Engineer
    ok...
    what I meant, is that with Windows NT you dont have to be on the same domain. you can simulate this by having a userName and passWord that exists on both domain and it would work. I didn't read carefully enough to see that you were on the same domain.