Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, everyone. I'm constructing small server for special monitoring purposes (HPAC monitoring and GSM notifications). There is intel Atom motherboard inside 1U 19" case with Transcend SSD driver and GSM-modem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Most reliable filesystem for embedded purposes

Hi, everyone.

I'm constructing small server for special monitoring purposes (HPAC monitoring and GSM notifications).
    There is intel Atom motherboard inside 1U 19" case with Transcend SSD driver and GSM-modem in a package.
    Software solution include Debian Linux, nagios and smstools.

It would be unattended system, often powered off without shutdown .

The root filesystem is in read-only mode, but there is a need for RW-filesystem (/var) for nagios data, logs, etc.

Which filesystem is most suitable to be keeped of system hangs on boot due to dirty (/var) filesystem after powering of without shutdown ?

And another one question. Is it possible to use mysql bases confidently in same condition (for ndoutils), or DBMS should be avoided also ?

Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You want a journalling file system such as xfs and jfs. Both of these are commonly used in embedded systems, including my ARM development system. As for a relational database running on these sort of systems, you need to configure the dbms to implicitly commit with each statement so the database is kept in a viable state, otherwise it will have to be recovered on the next boot (roll-forward recovery). Just remember the KISS principle!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for advices.