Find the answer to your Linux question:
When setting up a DNS server, should that be the only application on that box?? or is it ok to use DNS server as a gateway for an internal network?? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    wew
    Just Joined!

Running DNS and Gateway/Router be on same box?

When setting up a DNS server, should that be the only application on that box??

or is it ok to use DNS server as a gateway for an internal network??

or should I just run DNS server on one box, and buy a Linksys router for gateway??

you can make that box a combination email/web/file/dhcp/dns/gateway/<insert service here> server all at the same time, as long as it has the resources to handle it

If you are running proffesional DNS servers, you should run DNS allone and should have two. Now saying that you can do anything you want that is the beauty of Linux. I run two registered DNS servers both on p3 333's; this is way more than needed but since I registered them and if they go down it could take a week to get all the other DNS updated if yours ever go down. Passed that I ran my web and mail server on the same box for a while till I started getting Virtual domains now I recently got another box to seperate them.

Mike