Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: Separate server
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
- Join Date
- Jul 2011
If that is possible, what i need to do?
I don´t understand the part "...samba for mail".
Samba has nothing to do with mail.
But if your question is:
- can there be one VM for samba (file sharing)
- and another VM for mail and web
then yes, this is doable.
It depends on the load, though.
The general problem of VMs is IO performance.
So if you have a lot of users (file sharing, web or mail) then a physical machine might be needed.
Probably the file sharing would benefit from real hardware the earliest.
Rough points for the migration:
- Install two up to date operating systems: CentOS 6, Scientific Linux 6, or debian 6 come to mind. But this is of course your choice.
- copy and adapt the daemon config. There were quite a lot of new verisons out since fedora 5, so your samba/apache/<mailserver> config might need some tweaks
- copy the data to the new machinesYou must always face the curtain with a bow.