Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey hope im posting in the right area, basically iv been searching for days and all i can find is live cd's or disro's that require more than 128mb ram ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need help with a tafe project (linux server thru vmware).

hey hope im posting in the right area, basically iv been searching for days and all i can find is live cd's or disro's that require more than 128mb ram that i cant use..

we need to find and install a light weight distro of a linux server to run in VMware our specs are:

Pentium 3
    128mb ram
    10g HDD
    10mbs NIC
    SVGA graphics

the iso also has to be less than 500Mb....
    im thinking of going with the net install of Debian however id like to be different and find something completely different but still with a gui to work off.

needs to be able to run services such as a web server, FTP, SSH, VNC and some diagnostic tools. please help me find something that is not a live cd!!! it seems now days everything is live cd's!! i had an oldschool cd of rh5 somewhere but cant seem to find it =( would be perfect.

Just Joined!
    I'm not certain it matters which distribution you should use, except to say that sticking with a command structure you're already familiar with is a good idea. For me, the Debian Net Install is a decent idea, and for the following reasons:

You get only the packages you want
    It runs in next to nothing
    Any add-ons are easily obtainable.

That said, you'll also want to avoid a Desktop Environment such as KDE or Gnome; they require several hundred MB just to wake up. Even a Shell Environment like e17 might be too much, so go with an old-school X Window Manager like Fluxbox or Blackbox.

Keep all your tools CLI if possible, or find the smallest GUI versions you can. JOE (CLI only) is a fabulous editor, a little tougher to learn than OpenOffice.org but WAY smaller (I liked using it on my 386sx, 12MB RAM). Or stick with vim.

have fun. !

Just Joined!
    Thanks mate ill go with the net install =D ill do it on vmware tonioght and let ya know if its a go or not hahahah

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ok finnaly got thru tafes proxy and doing a net install with webserver/ftd/ssh and defualt gui hope it turns out anyone know what the defualt gui is? and if its gnome how do i get rid of it and get fluxbox?

Just Joined!
    installed good after screwing with tafes proxy.... also gnome is runable on 128mb just extremely un-resposive lol also installing vmware was abit messing had to update the kernals headers and stuff around for ages but all in all its up n running on 128mb ram hahhahahah yea!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by antho View Post
    installed good after screwing with tafes proxy.... also gnome is runable on 128mb just extremely un-resposive lol also installing vmware was abit messing had to update the kernals headers and stuff around for ages but all in all its up n running on 128mb ram hahhahahah yea!
    Congratulations!

yah Gnome is a bit of a bear on smaller systems, I'd consider doing this over again and trying it like this instead of selecting the default.

dang can't post URLs pay attention... www dot go2linux dot org slash installing-a-light-linux-operating-system-debian-fluxbox

just be sure to ignore OpenOffice.org and use Abiword instead.

mmm-kay?