Find the answer to your Linux question:
- Running Postfix, BIND9 I recently sent off an e-mail and was returned rejection because my hostname "n-desktop" was not a FQDN. I host multiple domains from my computer, so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

Postfix and DNS problem

- Running Postfix, BIND9

I recently sent off an e-mail and was returned rejection because my hostname "n-desktop" was not a FQDN.
    I host multiple domains from my computer, so I don't use a FQDN in my hostname.

I hashed out 'myhostname' in postfix's main configuration file, which resolved the issue of getting the mail through to the destination I needed to contact, however, since doing this people cannot send mail to me.

When someone tries to send me mail, they get something similar to this:

This is the mail system at host n-desktop.localdomain.

bla bla bla

Host or domain name not found. Name service error
    for name=n-desktop.localdomain type=A: Host not found
    Why is this occurring?
    Last edited by Kolusion; 08-29-2011 at 04:52 AM.

Banned
    Ok, I have returned 'myhostname' back to n-desktop. I can now receive mail.

I guess the system I was sending to hasn't got with the times and been configured to work with virtual hosts.
    The server I was sending the mail to is in Vietnam and I was contacting them to report spam originating from its network and asked them to better regulate it, so their 1999 configuration doesn't suprize me.

Does anyone know of a way that will allow Postfix to specify the FQDN for the domain its sending mail for?
    If I can do this, then I can work around servers that refuse mail from other servers that normally use their local hostname as their internet hostname.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolusion View Post
    Does anyone know of a way that will allow Postfix to specify the FQDN for the domain its sending mail for?
    It depends on how you are sending mail. Usually you can set the From: header to be whatever you want with a script. Or you can configure postfix with virtual domain support and use smtp auth to send mail as that user@domain

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close