Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, We run a mailing list and on our server sendmail is adding .org after some addresses, e.g. the first and third entries below in the process listing: Code: root ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sendmail adding .org after some addresses

Hello,
    We run a mailing list and on our server sendmail is adding .org after some addresses, e.g. the first and third entries below in the process listing:
    Code:
    root      1528  0.0  0.1  11764  6524 ?        Ss   Sep21   0:01  sendmail: ./p8NMgM0X031218 dimaventures.com.org.: user open 
    root       825  0.0  0.1  11796  6872 ?        Ss   Sep23   0:00  sendmail: ./p8MMBTHR000323 alltel.net.: user open 
    root     31759  0.0  0.1  11752  7008 ?        Ss   Sep23   0:00  sendmail: ./p8NITSQI029831 wrightinst.edu.org.: user open
    Could this be related to the "subdomain name $m = org" as in the sendmail config below? If so, why does it adds .org only to some addresses?
    Code:
    # sendmail -d0.1 -bv 
     Version 8.13.8 
      Compiled with: DNSMAP HESIOD HES_GETMAILHOST LDAPMAP LOG MAP_REGEX 
                     MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND NETINET 
     NETINET6 
                     NETUNIX NEWDB NIS PIPELINING SASLv2 SCANF SOCKETMAP 
     STARTTLS 
                     TCPWRAPPERS USERDB USE_LDAP_INIT 

============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============ 
           (short domain name) $w = foobar 
       (canonical domain name) $j = foobar.org 
              (subdomain name) $m = org 
                   (node name) $k = foobar.org 
    ========================================================
    If this is the problem, how do I fix this? We have a single host in our organization, so it's not host1.foobar.org, host2.foobar.org. It's just foobar.org.

Also, some sendmail processes have been around for more than two days (e.g. the first process in the process listing above). How do I make sure that a process does its job and not hangs around.

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by prautt View Post
    Hello,
    We run a mailing list and on our server sendmail is adding .org after some addresses, e.g. the first and third entries below in the process listing:
    Code:
    root      1528  0.0  0.1  11764  6524 ?        Ss   Sep21   0:01  sendmail: ./p8NMgM0X031218 dimaventures.com.org.: user open 
    root       825  0.0  0.1  11796  6872 ?        Ss   Sep23   0:00  sendmail: ./p8MMBTHR000323 alltel.net.: user open 
    root     31759  0.0  0.1  11752  7008 ?        Ss   Sep23   0:00  sendmail: ./p8NITSQI029831 wrightinst.edu.org.: user open
    Could this be related to the "subdomain name $m = org" as in the sendmail config below? If so, why does it adds .org only to some addresses?
    Code:
    # sendmail -d0.1 -bv 
     Version 8.13.8 
     NETINET6 
     STARTTLS 

If this is the problem, how do I fix this? We have a single host in our organization, so it's not host1.foobar.org, host2.foobar.org. It's just foobar.org.

Also, some sendmail processes have been around for more than two days (e.g. the first process in the process listing above). How do I make sure that a process does its job and not hangs around.

Thanks for your help!
    First of all, I would think your subdomain name field should be foobar.org, not org, as org would be less sub and more super. It could be sendmail is adding your subdomain for mail from domains that it cannot resolve. As far as processes hanging out, it may be related to an expire setting for undeliverable mail.

Personally, I prefer Postfix (The Postfix Home Page). It is rather easy to setup and apply ongoing configuration. I have worked with Sendmail very little and find its configuration to be unbearable.

Regards,
    N

Just Joined!

Configuring sendmail

Hello,
    Code:
    Code:
    # sendmail -d0.1 -bv 
     Version 8.13.8 
     NETINET6 
     STARTTLS 

Thanks for your help!
    ==================================

There are a few locations you want to focus on

Code:
    more /etc/hosts - validate the hostname and domain

more /etc/mail/mailertable - ensure the domain matches

more /etc/mail/local-host-names - same as hostname

more /etc/mail/virtusertable - validate you have not changed it once it in transit

In one of these files you should be able to change the domain to match foobar.org
    Tdsan

Just Joined!
    Thanks, tdsan, for your reply. Here is the content of various files you mentioned:

Code:
    $ more /etc/hosts
    ::1             localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
    1.2.3.4             foobar.org foobar

$ more /etc/mail/mailertable
    [this is a blank file]

$ more /etc/mail/local-host-names
    foobar.org
    mail.foobar.org

$ more /etc/mail/virtusertable
    postmasterATfoobar.com         mygmailaddressATgmail.com

$ hostname
    foobar.org
    I'm wondering if we need to give our host a hostname such as server1 (instead of foobar.org) so that canonical name becomes server1.foobar.org, but then we'll need to enable masquerading in sendmail to make the mail appear to come from foobar.org instead of from server1.foobar.org, so my preference would be to leave the server name as foobar.org.

Any suggestions? Thanks again!

Just Joined!
    Thanks, N, for your note. My understanding is that subdomain field is calculated by sendmail (instead of its value being hardcoded in some config file). So the question is how do I make the subdomain appear as foobar.org.

Thanks also for the Postfix suggestion. It appears to be an attractive option. Since we have been using sendmail for a while, I'll like to make it work, but it's good to know that there's another good option.

Just Joined!

Sendmail configuration

Thanks, tdsan, for your reply. Here is the content of various files you mentioned:

Code:
    $ more /etc/hosts
    ::1             localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
    1.2.3.4             foobar.org foobar

$ more /etc/mail/mailertable
    [this is a blank file]

$ more /etc/mail/local-host-names
    foobar.org
    mail.foobar.org

$ more /etc/mail/virtusertable
    postmasterATfoobar.com         mygmailaddressATgmail.com

$ hostname
    foobar.org
    I'm wondering if we need to give our host a hostname such as server1 (instead of foobar.org) so that canonical name becomes server1.foobar.org, but then we'll need to enable masquerading in sendmail to make the mail appear to come from foobar.org instead of from server1.foobar.org, so my preference would be to leave the server name as foobar.org.

Any suggestions? Thanks again!
    ==============================

1. From a testing standpoint, I would change the server name in /etc/hosts from foobar.org to server1.foobar.org

2. I would go under the /etc/mail/mailertable and insert an entry:

Code:
    .foobar.org                            esmtp:foobar.org
    3. I would go under sendmail.mc file and scroll to the bottom. There is a section that mentions about masquerading, enter your domain name - foobar.org

Code:
    MASQUERADE_AS(`foobar.org')

MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`foobar.org')

masquerade_entire_domain # Be sure to enable this feature
    4. Then create a mailer database (I forgot to tell you about this section)

Code:
    makemap hash /etc/mail/mailertable < /etc/mail/mailertable
    5. The files that you change, you will have to recompile them

Code:
    for example: makemap hash /etc/mail/local-host-names < /etc/mail/local-host-names
    6. Recompile sendmail.mc file

Code:
    m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
    7. Restart sendmail on linux system

Code:
    service sendmail restart
    Last edited by tdsan; 09-26-2011 at 06:31 PM.