Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
So if you connect the monitor after you have allowed sufficient time for system to boot what is displayed on the screen? I was after the output of dmesg after ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

So if you connect the monitor after you have allowed sufficient time for system to boot what is displayed on the screen?

I was after the output of dmesg after booting without monitor connected so we could compare it with your previous post to try and track down the cause of the problem ...

Just Joined!
    When I connect it it doesn't want to show anything and the monitor itself is saying it can't find a link even when I move my mouse or press enter on the keyboard. Unfortunately the Debian server is on my work and until Monday I have no access to it. Next week I will post the dmesg.

might also be worth checking out BIOS and if machine gives beep codes indicating video problems ... example here

Just Joined!
    Fortunately it doesn't give any bios beeps and the bios doesn't have much options to choose from. No option like halt on error like those for the keyboard and mouse.

Just Joined!
    hello.

I'm having this exact same problem. When there is no monitor plugged, nothing happens at all. Is there any solution yet?

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Only one that I know of and that is plug the monitor in. I still haven't found a solution to this bizarre problem, but it's good to know that I'm not the only one with this.

Would you two please post the exact model/manufacturer of the mainboard and graphics chipset?

Just Joined!

Lightbulb

I'm using a HP Compaq dx2000 mt to test this out, but before the Debian I had Pfsense, Endian and Untangle which all worked great without the monitor. What maybe could be the problem is that I haven't installed gnome through the installation cd, but with the CLI afterwards and it's a minimal install of gnome3. Could gnome be the problem here?

pcm
    Just Joined!
    I had same problem when I update debian Squeeze in my old Compaq Evo. When I started up the system without plug the monitor stopped the boot in the middle.

It seems that there were problems with the video mode at boot kernel. I have changed the grub2 conf (/etc/default/grub) and solved the startup without monitor:

- Add the modeset in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT.
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nomodeset"

- Add GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX to allow the kernel use the grub resolution.
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX="keep"

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathanb View Post
    I'm using a HP Compaq dx2000 mt to test this out, but before the Debian I had Pfsense, Endian and Untangle which all worked great without the monitor. What maybe could be the problem is that I haven't installed gnome through the installation cd, but with the CLI afterwards and it's a minimal install of gnome3. Could gnome be the problem here?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3