Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've never actually made a web server until now. I set up a very very simple server which is running sinatra on my desktop. I used a website called "whatismyipaddress.com" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Why can't I access my web server by it's IP address outside my LAN

I've never actually made a web server until now. I set up a very very simple server which is running sinatra on my desktop. I used a website called "whatismyipaddress.com" and it said the address was "70.43.56.162" and I have been trying to access it from computers that don't access the net through my router (linksys WRT 120n) and I haven't had a lot of success.

It works fine when I try to access it by its ip address on my LAN, and I was able to ping the ip address from one of my school's computers (which is weird considering they have a firewall which I was expecting wouldn't allow that.)

I have been spending the last couple of hours changing my router's firewall settings, and nothing seems to work. I have already set it so that it should allow web server access on port 80 (presumably it is talking about web servers on the LAN), but it still doesn't work.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It looks like you have opened port 80 but have you configured the router to forward the requests on Port 80 to your server? How you do this depends on the router.

You are usually looking for "port forwarding"
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    I have already done that, I followed the instructions here: The Default Port Forwarding Guide for the Linksys WRT120N - PortForward.com

In such a case, I'd been looking at the firewall. Either on the router or the server.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

Just Joined!
    I've already checked the firewalls on my server (iptables, and ufw), and I checked the router's firewall and I didn't fully understand it but I think it allows for web servers.

my router's port forwarding looks like this:
    router.jpg

I've got it's "SPI firewall" (whatever that is) disabled.
    Also I have it set to filter "IDENT (port 113)" (which I don't know what that is).
    Last edited by rm-rf; 10-13-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: added detail

Port 113 More than you ever wanted to know
    SPI Firewall See above

Your forwarding looks fine to me. I wonder if your ISP blocks it as some don't allow you to run servers.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

Trusted Penguin
    I see you've also configured ports 21 and 23 to be redirected. Can you connect to either of those ports, or are they inaccessible as well?

If you have a dynamic address from your ISP, its possible that the address has changed. Is that router the only thing on your network? Your ISP give you a router/dialer?
    linux user # 503963