Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using apache2 and have a site, mysite.com. I want to create a subdomain, ftp.mysite.com where people can download ftp files. I understand that to do this I will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Adding FTP Subdomain to Apache2

I am using apache2 and have a site, mysite.com. I want to create a subdomain, ftp.mysite.com where people can download ftp files. I understand that to do this I will need to run something like vsftpd to make this work but im not sure how to do this. I am running Ubuntu Linux 11.10. I am using the desktop edition as my server only because I perfer to use the GUI interface mostly with some terminal use, though I am good at using the terminal as well.

I need to know, step by step, how to:
    -Install and configure the seperate ftp server
    -Configure apache to use said ftp server to:
    -Create a subdomain ftp.mysite.com that has a document root:
    -/var/ftp
    Any help is appreciated!

Linux User
    Hi,
    If you wanna create a sub domain ftp.mysite.com you just need to add a entry in your bind zone or at your provider site.

Example for a domain:
    mysite.com => 1.2.3.4
    www.mysite.com => mysite.com
    ftp.mysite.com => mysite.com

or: ftp.mysite.com => 4.3.2.1

It is not necessary that ftp.mysite.com is on the same Server as your web-site.
    If you want to run it on the same server you can program the ftp to simply show a different folder on your system when the authentication is anonymous.

You can use one of the two howto tutorials to setup the ftp server, also related on the software you wanna install.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/server...tp-server.html
    HOW TO : Create a FTP server with user access (proftpd) - Ubuntu Forums
    With proftp you can have a GUI gproftpd.