Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am setting up multiple instances of mysql 5.5 server on a single host and trying to manage the instances using the mysqld_multi tool. Ia m able to get each ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

mysqld_multi is now officially my 'white whale'

I am setting up multiple instances of mysql 5.5 server on a single host and trying to manage the instances using the mysqld_multi tool. Ia m able to get each instance to run without issue when I start each manually via nthe following command.

Code:
    mysqld_safe --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --pid-file=/var/lib/mysql/$HOSTNAME.pid --socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock --port=3306 &

mysqld_safe --datadir=/usr/local/mysql/var2 --pid-file=/usr/local/mysql/var2/$HOSTNAME.pid2 --socket=/tmp/mysql.sock2 --port=3308 &

mysqld_safe --datadir=/usr/local/mysql/var3 --pid-file=/usr/local/mysql/var2/$HOSTNAME.pid3 --socket=/tmp/mysql.sock3 --port=3309 &
    Code:
     netstat -ntpl | grep mysql
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:3306                0.0.0.0:*                   LIS
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:3308                0.0.0.0:*                   LIS
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:3309                0.0.0.0:*                   LIS
    I have also verified seperate instances are running using ps -eaf, but will spare you the output.

When I try to run them with the mysqld_multi I get:

Code:
     mysqld_multi start 1-3 --verbose 
    WARNING: mysqld_safe is being used to start mysqld. In this case you may need to pass
    "ledir=..." under groups [mysqldN] to mysqld_safe in order to find the actual mysqld binary.
    ledir (library executable directory) should be the path to the wanted mysqld binary.
    /etc/my.cnf
    Code:
    [mysqld_multi]
    mysqld         =/usr/bin/mysqld_safe
    mysqladmin     =/usr/bin/mysqladmin

[mysqld1]
    port            = 3306
    socket          = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
    skip-external-locking
    key_buffer_size = 16K
    max_allowed_packet = 1M
    table_open_cache = 4
    sort_buffer_size = 64K
    read_buffer_size = 256K
    read_rnd_buffer_size = 256K
    net_buffer_length = 2K
    thread_stack = 128K

[mysql2]
    socket          =/tmp/mysql.sock2
    port            =3308
    pid-file        =/usr/local/mysql/var2/$HOSTNAME.pid2
    datadir         =/usr/local/mysql/var2

[mysql3]
    socket          =/tmp/mysql.sock3
    port            =3309
    pid-file        =/usr/local/mysql/var3/$HOSTNAME.pid3
    datadir         =/usr/local/mysql/var3
    any tips to help trouble shoot this or configuration pointers would be appreciated

Just Joined!
    check the group naming([mysql2] and [mysql3]), you missed the "d" letter from those

Quote Originally Posted by vasile002 View Post
    check the group naming([mysql2] and [mysql3]), you missed the "d" letter from those
    Everything I read implied that the 'd' wasn't necessary, I tried it and get the same error..back to the drawing board.
    I appreciate the help though