Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have planned to install CentOS 6. I don't have much money to buy Cpanel / WHM I will pay rent to the dedicated server every month. So, ** ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hosting

Hi,

I have planned to install CentOS 6.

I don't have much money to buy Cpanel / WHM
    I will pay rent to the dedicated server every month.

So,

** I need to run a PHP / Mysql / Apache based website including Imagemagick software.
    (Some people say litespeed is better than apache. I haven't tried that)

** I want to run a cron every one hour.

** I need ftp to upload files.

** I need phpmyadmin to manage database.

** I need to track the bandwidth, disk space, and resource usage

Can you guide me what open source software do i need to install to fill my requirements.

I want to secure the php.ini, It will be great if you can recommend me the secured settings.

Thanks

Apache does the job very very well - there's a reason it's so widely used on the internet. I'd recommend sticking with it unless you have a requirement that it cannot handle (and I can't think of one off the top of my head). PHP and MySQL are easy installs, you'll find your php.ini is secured by default.

Cron comes as part of a standard install. It's easy to configure a script to run when you want it to.

ftp is available, you probably want to use the vsftpd, which is available as a package - this imposes security with SSH so you get encryption of the stream and controlled access to your system.

phpmyadmin is a package too - make sure you understand the security settings for this before deploying it, but normally it means not letting the general internet have access to it, i.e. only allow it to be accessed inside your network (this is a simple Apache security setting).
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
    Is there any else required? I am going to launch my website. So it is not going to have users or anybody.

Yes, I searched about phpmyadmin. It seems we should disable remote login. We should allow only localhost access (127.0.0.1)

Can you give me an example to set up cron?
    Do i need to configure mail()?

Thanks

Cron comes already turned on and functional - several aspects of the system rely upon it. Adding entries can be done through the crontab file or through the /etc/cron.d directories. They're explained in detail in the Crontab pages in the official CentOS documentation.

To answer your other questions:

- Anything else required? The only things you require are the things you need to run - PHP, MySQL, Apache, otherwise known as LAMP, is also extremely well documented on the Internet. You may find LampHowTo.com to be of interest.

- Mail? You only need to set up email if you need email. If your web server is not having any user accounts (which is likely) then you probably don't need it.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    In my webserver, I will be the user. I wanted to know about PHP's mail() function. How does it work? Does it need any settings?

Trusted Penguin
    ** I need to track the bandwidth, disk space, and resource usage
    For that kind of monitoring, I like to use Xymon (aka Hobbit, aka BigBrother). It is open-source, fairly stable, has a lot of 3rd party modules for it, and is pretty much up and running right out of the box. Writing your own custom monitoring tests for it is easy, too.

Just Joined!
    You may want to consider a hosting account instead of building your own server.

You can get a free account on drupalgargens to see if drupal is a good solution for you.
    Last edited by oz; 04-30-2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: SPAM Removal