Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having a awful time trying to set permission on web folders in the php i am putting into my web folder will not allow me to set permissions ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Please help this apache2

I am having a awful time trying to set permission on web folders in the php i am putting into my web folder will not allow me to set permissions on permissions tab i set to root as user and the to read and write or read or read write and execute i get the tab going back to a --- sign it will not stay can anyone help me as to why this would happen it's not making since at all to me.
    i know what to do with php.ini for uploads i even tryed doing chmod 777 -r/var/to were the folder is i still get no go ok so.

Trusted Penguin
    What is the "permissions tab"? Are you using some sort of webpage control panel?

Can you use periods in your description of the problem? What you've written is hard to decipher.

Are you getting (helpful) error messages in /var/log/httpd/error_log ?

Just Joined!

No i am not getting errors

Well you know the var/www/your folder

Your folder would be were the data goes correct.
    Ok well when i put my program in such as example config.php would be a file uplaod's would be a folder. Ok right click on the folder go to properties on properties you see permissions tab you see basic emblems permissions. Correct ok first is owner root folder access second line create and delete files file access would be read and write thats 7 in chmod terms. Ok well when i try to put read and write for file access it will not stay on file access no matter what i do it goe's back to --- even if i click on apply it stills goes back to --- although i can set permissions on the file folders no it will not stay.yes i am getting blackhats error in var/log/apache2/error.log

debian linux
    Last edited by vinnyvrj; 11-22-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Trusted Penguin
    Ah, okay, so you are using the desktop file manager to access the directories - does that sound right? I've never changed them that way. If I were you, I'd do it through the terminal, as root.

Open you terminal and then either su to root or use sudo. I'll assume sudo - you could do:

Code:
    sudo mkdir /var/www/html/upload
    sudo chown apache.apache /var/www/html/upload
    ls -ld /var/www/html/upload
    If the sudo way doesn't work, then do this first:
    Code:
    su -
    You'll be prompted for root password. Enter it, then run the above 3 commands without the sudo in front of the first two.

Note: there's probably a better way to do this (apache gurus come forth) but this is a quick and dirty example you can try.

Can you post the relevant portions of your apache error log?

Just Joined!
    I have been attacked whats the looks of it i have never experienced this before it is the same as if you google blackhats its an attack W00t how do i fix this mess hello.
    Also whom may be doing this.

Trusted Penguin
    So does changing the permissions as root in a terminal work, or not?

Regarding the w00t attacks, did you try any of the solutions/work-arounds at this thread?