Find the answer to your Linux question:
so installed vsftpd on my machine running ubuntu 11.04. I am wanting to make it so that i can acsess the server from any point in the world over the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

vsftpd connecting logging on with computers that arent on my lan

so installed vsftpd on my machine running ubuntu 11.04. I am wanting to make it so that i can acsess the server from any point in the world over the Internet (computers that are not on my LAN) all the guides i have been reading show me how to install it. I understand how to install it but how do i make so i can ftp into my machine anywhere? Do i need a dns server any help would be appreciated.

Your thoughts about a DNS server are along the right lines. To connect to your server from anywhere, it has to be contactable. That means it either has to have a dedicated IP address or one that is allocated by your ISP on the fly but which you can publicise through a service that handles dynamic dns.

Beware here, some ISPs give you a NAT type address that is not visible from the internet, you're effectively behind a firewall of theirs, but it only does the NAT stuff.

If you need this service reliably, then get an ISP that can give you a static IP address.

I have a server at home with a static IP address and I can connect to it using SSH, and Gnome allows me to use that SSH connection as a filesystem connect (sshfs), allowing me to access my network at home as though I were plugged directly into it. I do this using a key-based ssh connection (no passwords) and a 2048 bit key (which I regenerate from time to time). I also run ssh on a different port to the standard (22).
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

So i can set up my own static ip address? but how do i know someone else is not using the same static ip as me?

Or are you saying that i need to get a static ip address from my isp so i know that it is not being used by anyone else. Would this cost me anymore money?

Trusted Penguin
    No, Roxoff is saying that it is possible that your ISP assigns you a static ip, but you typically (but not always) have to pay for that convenience.

If you're like most people, and you use a cable modem ISP provider who assigns you an IP address via DHCP, what you can do is sign up for a free Dynamic DNS service. I personally use Dyn.com. I think you can sign up for two DNS names for free. There is also NO-IP.com.

Anyway, what you do is, create an account and associate your internet IP address (the one your ISP randomly assigns to you) with a domain name, part of which you have creative control over. For example, it might be champ_server.dyndns.org. Now you could ping champ_server.dyndns.org. The problem is, like Roxoff said, the ip address the ISP assigns you can change randomly. To that end, there are DynDNS clients that you can install that run 24/7 and their sole job is to update the ip address configured for your service at your dyndns account.

Once you have dyndns working, then you need to configure your router (if you have one) to forward incoming requests on port 21 to the ip address and ftp port of your internal FTP server.

Having said all that, you may want to consider instead running an SFTP server, as it is more secure than FTP. It encrypts all traffic (no passwords in clear text, etc.) although it may be less convenient for non-savvy users trying to push files to you.

btw, you can verify your internet ip address here.

thank you very much atreyu!