Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
*steers COMPLETELY off topic* What movie did you see? And was it good?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

*steers COMPLETELY off topic*

What movie did you see? And was it good?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Bruce Almighty, I really liked it but it wasnt your normal Jim Carry movie. It had the stupid comedy parts too it and thats good cause thats the main reason i like Jim. i love stupid comedy and cant wait to see "Dumb and Dumberer". but back to the subject. the move kind of has a love story Twist added it but it was still really good and very funny.

BIG K

Just Joined!

Yeah...

We gotta get big_k's apache to work because i'm his RL roomate...and its bugging me, cause I'm trying to get my own server going but we're on a router and he's got his one working now...how can I get mine? Since 3 computers (2 servers) on here...uhh do we just have to open up different ports to look at stuff? Not sure

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I'm not a router guy but I do know a thing or two about routers. If there is no line in the router configuration limiting access to the ports from certain IP's or entirely you should both be able to access the same type of stuff. i.e. if port 21 is denied or closed then neither of your should be able to ftp. Opposite for port being open.

Have you or Kyle given your box a go? If so what errors did you encounter?

Side question is where are you getting your ip from? Your router or outside server-router? And are you on linux and which distro and version.

Beside doesn't big K owe you something for that pizza so get him to give you a tip or two.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

actually if you were to go to http://www.kylekonline.com it should work. you can double check. it will only be a basic page that was already on the computer slightly modified to say KyleKonline.com.

ok the actual question here is we have 3 computer running welll im sure it will end up being 5 before two long. but we both have a computer we want to have as a webserver and we dont want to put the web pages on the same box (i know you can have 2 servers running on the same box but tthis isnt what we want to do). ok i have the my DNS server poining to our cable box's IP so then it will go to my web page but how to you set up 2 servers on 2 IP and on 2 seperate boxs. thanks for the help.

o and i almost forgot i am running Mandrake 8.0 on my server and he is running redhat 9 on his server.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Guru
    this is all going to be done at the router level.

You need to go to your routers configuration panel, and setup "port forwarding".

You need to port - forward TCP port 80 to one webserver, and port forward port 81 to the other server.

the server you port forwarded 81 to, you need to edit your httpd.conf file, and change the line "#port 80" to "port 81". (number and # sign change).

When you want to go to the webserver you setup for port 80, just type in the domain name to the browser (from outside your network). for the other webserver you will need to use www.domain.com:81 (notice the ":81"). this tells the browser to go to that domain name, but use port 81 as opposed to the http standard of port 80.

Hope that makes sense.

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    So your router has a fixed single ip? Can you get a second fixed ip for assigned to the router? If not you maybe stuck with only one machine being able to run a web server since it seems you want to stay away from virtual hosts.

As I understand it (and I could be wrong) Virutal hosts were designed for using a single ip for multiple FQDN's.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

so we will be stuck having to add the ":80" or ":81" after our domain names is there a way to set up the dns server to aim the domain name at ipaddy:80 or ipaddy:81 will that work do you think

edit: i cant get the dns server im using to accept the ipaddy:80 as a valid ip
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

Linux Guru
    all the DNS server does it resolve the name of a host (www.yourdomain.com) to an ip address, eg: 192.168.0.1

It does not care about port numbers, that is not the role of a DNS server.

Jason

ok this is what we have decided to do. is set up both domain names to go to my server and then give them a choice of which of the two sites to enter. and then on his we will add the 81 at the end of the url link that should work pretty well as soon as he gets a DNS server up and running but i dont know how long that will be, but thanks for the help.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast