Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
hey, i was wondering if anyone could tell me how or set me in the right direction in setting up a good web server on Redhat 9. make it as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

help with web server and email server

hey, i was wondering if anyone could tell me how or set me in the right direction in setting up a good web server on Redhat 9. make it as simple as possible cause i am pretty new to linux. i know the basic commands and that is about it. i want to set up a web server and an email server but i dont no how. i have read a few tutorials but they havent done much good.

thanks BIG K

Linux Guru
    Apache is pretty much the de-facto linux web server, for a quick install guide to install apache 1.3x with PHP, follow the command here:
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.apache.php

and for 2.x follow these commands:
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.apache2.php

Alternativly, with Redhat, there will proberly be an RPM if you dont want to compile from source as above. Personally, i would compile from source.

As for the debate between 1.3x and 2x apache versions, i would have to say choose 1.3x as it has a longer track record, and has "proved" itself as such, where as 2x still has vulnerabilities being discovered each month.

In terms of email server, the 2 big players are Sendmail, and Exim. Personally, i use exim, and exim is generally seen as more secure. I have the commands i used to install exim on this server written down at home, i will paste them up after work.

Are you going to be hosting multiple domains from your web/mail server? or is it just a testing server or even a server for a single site? after you have apache installed, how you configure it will depend on the answers to those questions.

Jason

Well right now i am jst goin to use it for my own personal website, but maybe in the future i would like to host a few other domains for buddies of mine. i still really dont understand how to compile the programs a go from there, which probably sad since i am a programmer but i havent touched much linux. but it would probably be best to learn and compile on my own. right now my computer i have redhat 9 running on is jst for me to mess around till i figure it out more then im goin to put it on a faster computer. so i guess for now i will only be hosting 1 domain since it is such a slow computer and needs alot of upgrades.

BIG K

Linux Guru
    Ok, these are the notes i made when installing the 4x-current version of Exim, hope these are of some use to you:

login as root

cd /root

ftp www.exim.org - download exim from /pub/exim

tar zxvf exim-xxx

cd exim-xxx

cd src

vi EDITME

mv EDITME ../Local/Makefile

cd ..

make

make install

cd /usr/exim/bin/

To Start Exim as Daemon on port 25
    ./exim -bd
    After that, you will need to either add an iptables rule so that exim can only be accessed from localhost, or you will need to take steps to secure exim so it cannot be used as an open mail relay. I went for the first option, but if you want the second, the answer should be buried deep in the depths of www.exim.org

Good Luck, let us know how you get on.

Oh, on the apache front, for single domain use, there really is not much configuring to do,(none if you dont want to ). I would recommend you have a look at the apache security guide in the tutorials section to make your installation more secure.

Other than that, run "updatedb", then "locate htdocs" to find where to put the pages you write.

Finally, something i missed earlier, do you want database access as well? or not?

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Just to through my two pence in for email, your top two were
    Sendmail, and Exim
    Seems qmail is right about in there. Maybe I'm just all washed up.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

cool thanks guys i will let you know how things go with this. im goin to work on some of it tomorrow maybe and if not hopefully some this weekend.

BIG K

hey does anyone have a good recommendation for a good book about apache. one that explains things down for an idiot like me. cause the redhat book i got is jst making me more and more confused.

well any comments would be great. thanks

BIG K

i also would like a book that explains all the differenct configurations to me also.

Just Joined!
    Linux complete (sybex - ISBN 0-7821-4036-X) is a good book... it retails for 14. 99 in the UK and $19.99 in the US.

it has a big section on apache as well as a lot of other linux programs and configurations. I bought it a few days ago... I'm only a few chapters in, but its well wrriten and easy to understand. I had a quick look through the apache section, it looks pretty comprehensive.

P.S. *cough*editbutton*cough* :P

yeah i know i forgot cause i was in a hurry to get to a movie. I normally use edit instead of posting another reply. sorry. and thanks bout the book i will have to look into that one.

BIG K

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast