Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I am newbie to Linux I've rented an un managed VPS I've goggled and found most review go towards sing CentOS for the VPS. The VPS is un managed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arrow Setup VPS un managed hosting using CentOS 6

Hello
    I am newbie to Linux
    I've rented an un managed VPS
    I've goggled and found most review go towards sing CentOS for the VPS.
    The VPS is un managed and install CentOS 6 with just one click then generate a root password.
    Then use PUTTY or SSH Secure Shell to connect to the VPS and then it is fully empty and nothing installed at it at all.
    So please advise how to go into this long way down ahead?
    How to figure it out to secure the VPS and add my websites?

Thanks
    Mohamed

Hi and welcome.

This HowTo is quite good:
    The Perfect Server - CentOS 6.2 x86_64 With Apache2 [ISPConfig 3] | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

However, as you have stated you are a newbie, the various topics and methods in this might be a bit overwhelming.

Also: It is just one way of setting a system up.
    It may very well be, that you want different services or java instead of php or...

There are also some points in this HowTo, that I disagree with:
    1) It tells you to compile some pieces from source.
    Imho, this leads to unmaintained software and potential update issues.
    So I would package these.
    2) There is no system management.
    Ok, maybe a bit overkill for just one system,
    but for >10 systems AND/OR clean deploys I highly recommend learning something like puppet
    3) configs/templates/sources need to be versioned.
    svn or git are highly recommended for these types of files, so that you can always rollback or share work with others.

So in short:
    This HowTo is good, it shows a lot of topics and in detail.
    But says almost nothing about maintenance, which is essential for online services.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    As you state, you have rented an unmanaged VPS. This means, YOU have to manage the VPS. What happens exactly when you have chosen your OS? You get root access, and then what? Are you able to log in through SSH?

IF you can access through SSH, then you have EXACTLY what you suppose to have: a remote linux server, in your case running CentOS 6.

From there you can install and configure all the services you need or want to use.
    If you want it as a webserver, you will have to install and configure a service that can serve webpages, like Apache or NgineX or.....
    If you want to have a mailserver, you will have to install and configure a pop/imap server and a SMTP server. etc.... I suggest to start reading... .

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    1. Follow the KISS principal (I can't emphasize that enough)! Start small and as you learn, get bigger, more complicated.
    2. With any Red Hat derived distribution, such as CentOS (great stuff, BTW), you use YUM to install software packages from the standard, or other installed, repositories. Some good ones are atrpms, epel, and rpmforge.
    3. Install Apache and Tomcat (they will require and probably install via yum, Java or the java open JDK packages).
    4. Once you have your web sites working internally, then look at installing/configuring iptables and the SELinux extensions for high-level security. Do note that when you enable SELinux, you will probably find your web site doesn't work, or doesn't work properly, until you configure iptables and SELinux properly. That is a difficult (not impossible) process that will take some time, but well worth the trouble to secure your system.
    5. Finally, NEVER program your web pages to do direct SQL access to your databases. This is the root cause of most SQL injection attacks that have compromised many major sites, such as Sony, et al. Use database stored procedures instead and only send arguments to be used in the procedure functions. These are then (usually), internally turned into data passed to the database SQL code, and cannot modify the code as happens with SQL injection attacks, which in turn allows the attacker to take control and access any data in the database.

This list goes on, and on, and on, but this is a start. In any case, HAVE FUN!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    As long the TS doesn't say what he wants to use the VPS for, I don't think we can give any structural advise. What I do want to advise is to start practising on a VM on your own pc or laptop using virtual box or vmware (or one of the other vm solutions.) Do follow some info on how to manage a linux server. There are LOADS of websites that give info on how linux 'works'. After TS feels comfortable with managing a linux server there are several howtos to install services (like LAMP or gameserver or any other config)

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by khildin View Post
    As long the TS doesn't say what he wants to use the VPS for, I don't think we can give any structural advise. What I do want to advise is to start practising on a VM on your own pc or laptop using virtual box or vmware (or one of the other vm solutions.) Do follow some info on how to manage a linux server. There are LOADS of websites that give info on how linux 'works'. After TS feels comfortable with managing a linux server there are several howtos to install services (like LAMP or gameserver or any other config)
    Re. Using a VM to experiment with is very good advice khildin. I use VirtualBox (now open sourced, even if it IS from Oracle) a lot for this sort of experimentation. I can "screw the pooch" and just delete the VM after I have learned my painful lessons!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!