Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have been using bind for many years in my local private network. It is currently configured to contact root servers for all other (other than the private network ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

bind (DNS) and Forwarders

Hello,

I have been using bind for many years in my local private network. It is currently configured to contact root servers for all other (other than the private network I have) queries. It works just fine.

Before I start posting my config file etc. I want to make sure I am able to do what I want. I would like to configure my bind to serve up my local zone (dwfa.ca <==>192.168.1.x) and forward all requests to another DNS server.

From what I have read this should be possible, just not sure what is required; from reading posts/articles on-line it is not clear to me how to do this.

If someone can first confirm this is doable then I will post my config and maybe someone can help me change the bind config file accordingly.

---
    Cheers!
    Douglas WF Acheson

This would all depend on what you are trying to do and I don't full understand what your objective is in this case. Could you please expand on what it is you are trying to accomplish with this setup?

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    I want all systems on my network to use my DNS server. My DNS server will resolve only the zone is knows about (dwfa.ca 192.168.1.x) and then will forward/proxy all other requests to my ISPs DNS server. I do not want to my systems to know about the ISP DNS server. Does that make sense?

dwfa

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you already have your DNS setup to resolve local and contact root for all others then you really only need to setup your systems to use your local DNS server.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted