Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I'm now a proud owner of a HP ProLiant Microserver which I intend to set-up as a web server and use as a test-bed for web applications but also ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ProLiant Web Server Questions

Hi!
    I'm now a proud owner of a HP ProLiant Microserver which I intend to set-up as a web server and use as a test-bed for web applications but also to backup some files. I would need LAMP, Samba and preferably WebMin or an equivalent. I want the server to be reliable, update easily and require little on-going administration (also set-up and forget).

I have a few questions regarding my needs:
    1. Which Linux is best? Yes, I know this is like opening a can of worms but which flavour is best for my needs? Should I stick to something like CentOS or opt for SMS?

2. Is it worth booting off USB? The server has an on-board bootable USB and I have a collection of pens/keys including 256MB up to 8GB... I wondered is it worth making use of this feature or keep everything on the HDD? If it is best to use USB, then what's best to have on the HDD - /home obviously but should I have /var or just take over the MySQL and www folder?

Any help would be most appriciated!

Trusted Penguin
    Hi,

You can't go wrong with CentOS as a LAMP server. Ubuntu and OpenSUSE are also popular choices. There are many guides out there for setting up a server on CentOS with the needs you've stated. CentOS has a great repository of software and, in part b/t they are a binary clone of Red Hat EL, they have active an community following. Be sure to check out the EPEL repo if you do go with CentOS - it will more than double the number of software packages available to your system. If you have the time and inclination, I'd recommend running 2 or 3 of those distros in a "Live" session, to see how your hardware works with them, and see if you prefer one over the other.

For a server, I would definitely opt for installing the OS and data to hard drive. USB drives should only be used when they make sense (being portable, moving data, rescuing a system, etc.), not for persistent storage. USB drives can be finicky, too, and you don't want them flaking out on you at those inopportune times.