Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, We have configured a Samba Server, over Ubuntu 10.10 pc. It contains few users. The server running successfully with successfull Login from Windows Machine. However, when I tried to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba Write Permission Issue

Hi,

We have configured a Samba Server, over Ubuntu 10.10 pc. It contains few users.

The server running successfully with successfull Login from Windows Machine. However, when I tried to map my network drive ,it goes fine, but it shows error on any modification done in the directory.

Lets say I have folder demo, with permission as DRWXR-XR-X, which is default in Ubuntu. But it shows error during modifications in Windows XP. When I changed the permission to 777 of the folder, then I can able to modify it with no issues.

Thus now I have to changed every folder's permission to 777 which is not possible.

I have mapped Network Drive with same Username.

Anybody Pls help???

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Make sure you have the user you have specified in sharing the Ubuntu data is EXACTLY the same as the owner of the files/directories, which is done in the /etc/samba/smbusers file (normally). Also, check the group ID. Anyway, I can do what you are trying to do, but as I said, I am using the /etc/samba/smbusers file, and not the default login ID. Remember it is not the name, but the user ID, which is a number. For example, on my system, my real user id is 500, NOT xyzzy!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Make sure you have the user you have specified in sharing the Ubuntu data is EXACTLY the same as the owner of the files/directories, which is done in the /etc/samba/smbusers file (normally). Also, check the group ID. Anyway, I can do what you are trying to do, but as I said, I am using the /etc/samba/smbusers file, and not the default login ID. Remember it is not the name, but the user ID, which is a number. For example, on my system, my real user id is 500, NOT xyzzy!
    Hi, thankx for a quick reply... as u have said I have checked the username using ls -l command and it is correct.

I have also tried to modify smbuser file with content akash = akash. Then restart the samba server, but it still shows access denied.

Just Joined!
    HI,

i hv found the issue but not able to find solution. Its the bloody Windows XP.
    Actually, it is mapping drive from some other username (chris) instead of my Username. I have tried to map the drive with different username from Windows XP but all in vain.