Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I have a couple of questions regarding the DNS servers. What I intend to do for some time now is to get a dedicated DNS server. Install all the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DNS Servers

Hello.

I have a couple of questions regarding the DNS servers.

What I intend to do for some time now is to get a dedicated DNS server. Install all the needed applications and software to do so. I am planning on using BIND.

However, my qeustion is how do I proceed with setting the things up. The point of this is to hide the IPs of my webserver, a sort of filtering will be done there. I basically want when a domain lookup is made, to show the IPs of the DNS server, not the webserver. How can this be done most efficiently?

Regards.

Hello and Welcome!

I've never setup a DNS server, but maybe this will help: Linux DNS server BIND configuration
    It might answer some of your questions until someone more experienced comes along.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

(One of) The purpose(s) of dns is to translate between hostnames and IPs.

Server/computer find each other via IPs and routing.
    So I do not quite understand, why you want to hide your webservers IP.

Additionally:
    One can run webservers on private IPs, but you would still need a service such as a proxy or loadbalancer with a public IP to forward requests.

Can you maybe clarify what you want to achieve with IP hiding?
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    (One of) The purpose(s) of dns is to translate between hostnames and IPs.

Server/computer find each other via IPs and routing.
    So I do not quite understand, why you want to hide your webservers IP.

Additionally:
    One can run webservers on private IPs, but you would still need a service such as a proxy or loadbalancer with a public IP to forward requests.

Can you maybe clarify what you want to achieve with IP hiding?
    Sure.

I would like to build the following infrastructure:
    reqeust - > dns server -> forwarded to firewall server -> forwarded to webserver

The thing I would like to do is keep the webserver's IP private and the firwall and dns server IPs public.

Something like cloudflare if you have ever used it - when using their DNS services, the real webserevr IP is hidden from the public.

If you have a firewall, with a private network behind it, all you need is for
    DNS to give the IP address of the firewall. If the real server is behind a NAT
    router, just port forward to the private address of the server.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgreen View Post
    If you have a firewall, with a private network behind it, all you need is for
    DNS to give the IP address of the firewall. If the real server is behind a NAT
    router, just port forward to the private address of the server.
    Nah, there is no private network behind it. Everything would be made on a public network.

I already got the prototype and the idea ready, however I thought that someone has developed somethign similar to this and can give me a suggestion to optimise and make it more efficient, as the way I am working on would be be really efficient and might not work up well.