Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to connect to my computer through SSH on a different network through the internet. I believe that I need a DNS to do this because my IP only ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DNS question?

I want to connect to my computer through SSH on a different network through the internet. I believe that I need a DNS to do this because my IP only works locally.

Is this something I have to pay for or can I just create one and connect through my ISP some how?

Please lead me in some direction, something to google, I am a complete newbie to this stuff.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If you can reach the internet, and the system you are trying to connect with has a public IP address, then you should be able to connect to them using ssh, provided the remote system has enabled ssh on their system (open ssh port). If this is the case, and you are having problems, then make sure that the port they are using is the one your ssh software is trying to connect with. Example, host.domain:22 (default port for ssh), or possibly host.domain:614 (sshell). Anyway, some sites use ports other than the default (22 for ssh) in order to mislead malware that is probing for unpatched ssh installations.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheguynoodles View Post
    I want to connect to my computer through SSH on a different network through the internet. I believe that I need a DNS to do this because my IP only works locally.
    When you say your IP only works locally, do you have a 10.*, 172.16.* or 192.168.* address?

Is this something I have to pay for or can I just create one and connect through my ISP some how?
    Normally not. You just need to know what your public IP is and ensure your router will forward on all requests to your system.

Please lead me in some direction, something to google, I am a complete newbie to this stuff.
    Without more information we would just be shooting in the dark. but if you want to google something then look up "Port Forward" and "NAT" for starters.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    When you say your IP only works locally, do you have a 10.*, 172.16.* or 192.168.* address?

Normally not. You just need to know what your public IP is and ensure your router will forward on all requests to your system.

Without more information we would just be shooting in the dark. but if you want to google something then look up "Port Forward" and "NAT" for starters.
    Though if he has a Dynamic IP, which most non-businesses do, then he will have to sign up for a service that keeps track of it.

Most if not all routers today that one buys for home use is able to update DDNS. There are plenty of DDNS site out there that are free. I do not use any thus I could not recommend any.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted