Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I currently have a Ubuntu-based home server that will stay continually running but I need help setting up a few things. 1) The machine is set to turn back ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need Help with A Few Things

Hello, I currently have a Ubuntu-based home server that will stay continually running but I need help setting up a few things.

1) The machine is set to turn back on if power goes out (it was tested yesterday when a storm knocked the power out a few times) when I had a regular debian install, it would power back on but no services were started until I logged in. Will it be like that with Ubuntu Server edition or does it automatically start services when booted up.
    1b.) Also is it possible to setup a web server to continually ping the server and email me if it is down?

2) This Server is being used as a printer server, which works great but the printer I am using is also a scanner and I was wondering if there is a utility that will let me control the scanner from a client pc?

3) If I was to later want to setup a web cam to record any motion is that possible?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathon6017 View Post
    Hello, I currently have a Ubuntu-based home server that will stay continually running but I need help setting up a few things.

1) The machine is set to turn back on if power goes out (it was tested yesterday when a storm knocked the power out a few times) when I had a regular debian install, it would power back on but no services were started until I logged in. Will it be like that with Ubuntu Server edition or does it automatically start services when booted up.
    1b.) Also is it possible to setup a web server to continually ping the server and email me if it is down?

2) This Server is being used as a printer server, which works great but the printer I am using is also a scanner and I was wondering if there is a utility that will let me control the scanner from a client pc?

3) If I was to later want to setup a web cam to record any motion is that possible?

Over 200 views and not one reply? Really?

I don't run a server of any type, but I viewed it.
    You need to be a little patient with any Forum.
    It might just take a little while before somebody has a good answer.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close