Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I need a Disaster Recovery for our Linux Server (Centos 5). In my Test Environment (CentOS6.2 virtual on virtualbox) I tested mondorescue and rear (relax and recover). But ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    rib
    Just Joined!

Disaster Recovery (System)

Hi there,
    I need a Disaster Recovery for our Linux Server (Centos 5).

In my Test Environment (CentOS6.2 virtual on virtualbox) I tested mondorescue and rear (relax and recover).

But none of them are working as expected.

mondorescue: I successfully created the iso files, but when I boot using "nuke" I get the following error message: "No filesystem could mount root, tried: iso9660. Kernel panic - not syncing VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)

rear: I ran "rear mkbackup", an ISO created (very fast, to fast and to small for all the data), but when I boot from it and ran "rear recover" and select the new disk /dev/sda rear asks for backup data: "please restore your backup in the provides shell, and, when finished, type exit to continue recovery"

I just want to create some iso files on NFS/CIFS share and for recovery, I want to boot from them and restore the whole system.

I didnt found an answer on the rear homepage (no documentation).

Do I miss something? mondorescue/rear

Any other idea how to generate a disaster recovery "image" (iso)?

Thank you

PS: I tried to restore on a new virtual machine (bigger harddisk, virtual box)

rib
    Just Joined!
    for the record: I got rear running using NFS instead of CIFS. It is working very well