Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a old hp slimline pavilion s3200n and want to turn it into a web server for my friends site. He wants to use wordpress for the site. So ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help setting up a web server?

I have a old hp slimline pavilion s3200n and want to turn it into a web server for my friends site. He wants to use wordpress for the site. So can anyone tell me a list of what i need to turn it into a server. and if anyone can anyone help me through the process.

heres what I know:
    Linux Destro
    apache?
    mysql
    wordpress

is that right?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    So can anyone tell me a list of what i need to turn it into a server. and if anyone can anyone help me through the process.
    Hello and welcome!

With just a bit of online searching, you should be able to find hundreds if not thousands of howto articles describing how to setup a Linux web server. Once you've found one you like and get started with it, post back with the details regarding any issues that you run into and someone should be able to help.

Note also that some Linux distributions have special server versions that may already be what you are looking for, or they won't require a lot of extra work and configuration to get them running the way you want.

Let us know how it goes.
    oz

Hello,

Your wanting to build a LAMP(Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP) stack. These are the basic dependincies required by Wordpress. A LAMP stack is no to bad to setup and configure however I dont really recommend creating a LAMP stack and serving your friends live website from your house. Wordpress depending on the version has many vaunrabilities as well as the plugins or themes(Ex. timthumb). If you are using it as a test eviroment great, but if you are considering setting it up for a live website I suggest a datacenter or investing a great amount of time learning about mod security. Anyhow good luck on your adventure I have included some helpful links below.

www.centos.org - The Community ENTerprise Operating System
    LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) HOWTO: Installing MySQL and Apache with PHP support on Linux