Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear All, Is there any special method to host CodeIgniter projects or framework independent method to host PHP projects in a Linux Server? Earlier after having a problem with hosting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question PHP Framework ( CodeIgniter ) Projects vs LAMP

Dear All,

Is there any special method to host CodeIgniter projects or framework independent method to host PHP projects in a Linux Server?

Earlier after having a problem with hosting a PHP project in a Fedora web-server, I edited Line 88 in Router.conf in CodeIgniter project and remove the
    strtolower
    phrase then the project worked. But now when handling sessions it gives some errors.

$this->default_controller = ( ! isset($this->routes['default_controller']) OR $this->routes['default_controller'] == '') ? FALSE : strtolower($this->routes['default_controller']);
    My developers says this is due to session brakes when it comes to Linux hosting they run the code in windows PCs where this problem doesn't appear

Thanks
    Last edited by amithad; 03-12-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Just Joined!
    My work web server is running PHP with code igniter framework and LAMP. RHEL 5.

I am the sysadmin on the box and periodically I have to bring in a PHP consultant make enhancements but your devs are dead wrong.

I have had issue with code igniter and I am moving away from PHP for other reasons. but the faults are most liking with code igniter not linux.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It looks like code igniter expects file names to be lower case. This wouldn't matter on Windows which has a more limited file system. Insist your developers fix it and deliver a working product or get some better developers.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    It looks like code igniter expects file names to be lower case. This wouldn't matter on Windows which has a more limited file system. Insist your developers fix it and deliver a working product or get some better developers.
    Dear Elija,

Thanks for the reply! Our developers use windows workstations to develop CodeIgniter projects and hosting is done on a Fedora server. We are now in a situation where to find a best Linux distribution for web hosting and if it is framework independent that's better.

Could I know a web resource to get more information how to prepare a LAMP server for hosting? Your early reply is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I host my site on HostGator and have always found them reliable. I would recommend them but also suggest you do your own research. They use CentOS.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I host my site on HostGator and have always found them reliable. I would recommend them but also suggest you do your own research. They use CentOS.
    Thanks a loft for the info Elija