Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm currently having an issue where mail is being rejected by my mail relay server; if I'm interpreting the issue correctly this is because Postfix insists on checking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Disable MX lookups on Postfix?

Hi all,

I'm currently having an issue where mail is being rejected by my mail relay server; if I'm interpreting the issue correctly this is because Postfix insists on checking then does not recognise the sender's domain. Error message received:

5.7.1 SMTP; 550 5.7.1 sender domain does not exist> #SMTP#

What I would like is for Postfix not to check the domain; I have read around on the topic and have found ways to disable MX lookups by inserting square brackets around the destination address for relay settings within /etc/postfix/transport and /etc/postfix/master.cf; however, in this setup the server acts as a mail server to the internet and relaying is not configured using the relay statements within those files. I was wondering, does anyone know of another way to stop Postfix querying the domain, or indeed some other solution that might work in this instance?

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Just FYI to everyone, I eventually resolved this by masquerading the domain. Because the normal method of doing this (e.g. inserting a 'masquerade_domains = domain.com' statement in main.cf) didn't work for me for reasons I have yet to figure out, I instead made the following changes:

Code:
    ## append the following to /etc/postfix/main.cf
    smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic   

## insert the following into /etc/postfix/generic
    oracle@domain.to.mask.from oracle@domain.to.mask.to   ## append any users that need to send mail from server to generic file

postmap /etc/postfix/generic     ## perform postmap
    service postfix restart          ## restart postfix
    And that worked - so I'm marking this thread as solved.