Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a server running RHEL 6, and have created multiple IP aliases on it. However, when I restart the server, the IP aliases are gone. I tried to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Creating IP aliases upon server reboot

Hi,

I have a server running RHEL 6, and have created multiple IP aliases on it. However, when I restart the server, the IP aliases are gone.

I tried to edit the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file to include

Code:
    ifconfig eth0:1 1.1.1.1
    ifconfig eth0:2 2.2.2.2
    But it didn't work.

How can I make sure that the IP aliases stay after reboot?

Thank you.

Regards,
    Rayne

Trusted Penguin
    you have to use the networking scripts or else every time you restart networking, you'll lose the aliases. here's a quick bit to give you a start:
    Code:
    cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
    cat ifcfg-eth0|sed -e 's|^IPADDR=.*$|IPADDR=1.1.1.1|;s|^DEVICE=.*$|DEVICE=eth0:1|' > ifcfg-eth0:1
    cat ifcfg-eth0|sed -e 's|^IPADDR=.*$|IPADDR=2.2.2.2|;s|^DEVICE=.*$|DEVICE=eth0:2|' > ifcfg-eth0:2
    you may need to edit those resulting files, maybe pull out routing/gateway variables or whatever. then restart networking and they should appear. will be there upon reboot, too, unless ONBOOT="no".

btw, i prefer using ip to ifconfig for setting aliases. it is the *newer* way to do things and you can do much more with ip than with ifconfig. here's a quick example:

Code:
    ip addr add 1.1.1.1/24 dev eth0
    it is also easy to add these aliases to network config files for persistence across reboots, too (they go in /etc/network/ usually).

the RHEL/Fedora distros are not using the ip/iproute tools by default yet, though, so i have to install iproute and the config scripts over top of the default ones. for debian/ubuntu, i think they already use ip only.

Just Joined!
    Thank you!

You are aware that you can create an interface /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ called ifcfg-eth0:1 that contains the following;

Code:
    DEVICE=eth0:1
    BOOTPROTO=none
    HWADDR=<HDRWARE ADDR>
    ONBOOT=yes
    IPADDR=1.1.1.1
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    TYPE=Ethernet
    You can repeat this as needed. and on boot/reboot the interfaces will be started automatically.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted