Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello there Forum Dwellers, Finally made the leap and joined this wonderful community so I could ask you all this question. I have asked the same question at WebTalk but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Suggestions on Remote Access to my Machines with Vaired OS's?

Hello there Forum Dwellers,

Finally made the leap and joined this wonderful community so I could ask you all this question.

I have asked the same question at WebTalk but I am not seeming to get any suggestions at all. I figured I would get some good responses here!

So I need a solution here, I run vairous equipment and servers and need to be able to remotely access them with a GUI from both my Laptop, and my Android phone when I am on the go.
    Heres my issue, I really don't know what the best protocol would be to use to remotely access my servers, and I need on that is a cross platform package/program that I can preferrably access all of the different Operating Systems. Plus I need to find the best option without disrupting security to much..

This is my layout right now.
    • I have 4 Servers running CentOS. All of which I use for VPS virtualization.
    • There are 2 Virtual Private Servers on those 4 CentOS servers that I use for my own personal use. One of the VPS's runs OpenIndiana, and the other is running CentOS (which I am looking to soon switch to Red Hat Enterprise Linux)
    • There are also two other servers that I have that I dont use to host VPS's, but use for other features, One of which is running SuSE Enterprise Linux Server, and the other is running Solaris 11.
    • I have one older PC that I customized, and use to run as a Router and Firewall. Right now it is using ClearOS, but I think I may switch it to OpenBSD.
    • Soon I will be getting a NAS server, and on which I will most likely run FreeNAS which is a custom FreeBSD flavor.
    • As for my Personal Laptop, I am running the current Fedora 16, and also dual boot into Windows 7 when needed.
    • Finally my phone is a Motorola Photon 4G running Gingerbread Android OS.

So as you may have noticed its quite a varied selection I have here, and I have different Operating Systems for different reasons. I really love my set up right now, and don't wish to change it. All I would wish to do is remotely access all my machines from my Laptop and my Phone.

I dont know what would be the best option for Remotely Accessing my machines either. VNC? RDP? some other I don't know of... ? Any suggestions on that?
    I would like to be able to get a full GUI as well, and not just the terminal if possible. So I need the X Window.

Also it would be great if whatever choice I end up using has support for even more operating systems.. Some day I would love to try out and use something like SCO OpenServer, Novell's Open Enterprise Server (NetWare), IRIX, or others of that sort, Maybe try out the new Windows Server 2012, as well as some experimental stuff in the future like PureDarwin, or some HURD flavor, or even some OS X Server on one of my VPS's or something for my families IOS devices, or cloud streaming etc.
    Ya know what I mean? Just the more support the better, is all..

So heres an overview:
    My Servers/Etc use:
    CentOS, SuSE Enterprise Linux Server, Solaris, OpenIndiana, ClearOS, and hopefully/maybe: Red Hat Enterprise Linux, FreeBSD/FreeNAS, OpenBSD, and possibly sometime more as mentioned above..
    My personal devices use:
    Fedora 16, Windows 7, and Android.

So I need to be able to remotely access the Operating Systems in the "My servers/ect" category. And I would need to access them from "My Personal Devices" category.

What do you guys think?
    Whats my best option?
    Could I do this without comprimising security too much?
    Could I do this with just one protocol/application for all?
    Any other suggestions?

Thank you all so very much for your time, I greatly appreciate any help.
    Anything would be very benefitial, point me in the right direction, suggest part of it, or the best protocol, etc.
    ANYTHING would be great!

Thanks for everything.
    Hope someone can help.
    Take care,
    Peace, Love and Light to you all.

I think Android GUI is going to be your biggest hurdle. I would suggest using VPN. Once you are VPN'ed in it would be business as usual.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Okay, I will look into that. Didn't know VPN could be used to remotely view a desktop though.. Thought it was only the network..? Did you mean VPN or did you mean VNC? I assume you meant VPN but just wanted to clarify.

As for the android there seems to be a lot of VNC apps, as well as VPN apps. So I think I should be fine there.
    Remember I don't need to connect to my android, I have to connect to the servers with my android.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I appreciate it!
    Take care.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    No, I was talking VPN. That way you are securely on the network. Then you can use VNC to view your desktops.

I see servers as CLI only and desktop as GUI.

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!

Great help, even I could follow it....

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    No, I was talking VPN. That way you are securely on the network. Then you can use VNC to view your desktops.

I see servers as CLI only and desktop as GUI.
    Great help, even I could follow it.... I am an old newbie but really enjoy reading great help files like you just put out...

Thanks from me and keep them coming.....

oldgi

Linux Engineer
    Hello,

I would turn on ssh for each of those hosts, as it's going to be included in default packages for most if not all.
    From you Fedora laptop, you can
    ssh -X <user>@<youriphere>
    That will allow 'X' forwarding.
    Now, you can start most programs from terminal. Personally, I think your time would be best spent figuring out how to use ssh and the command line This is linux and unix, you know.

Some other ideas: If you don't need to 'use' the boxes per se, and just need to administer them, you could consider installing webmin. It's a nifty but kind of bloated web based utility for remote administration. As far as FreeNAS goes though, that's web admin only. You can ssh into to reboot, etc, but there is definitely no gui.

For the Centboxes specifically: If you're running KVM virtual machines, you can connect to KVM and administer it remotely by installing virt-manager on your fedora laptop. I believe the latest flavor of virt-manager also includes extensions to connect to Xen-based hypervisors as well (Cent<=5x)

Looking at this from a security standpoint...

If the situation were one-to-one then I would agree to use ssh.
    As we are talking one-to-many VPN is the way to go.

My reasoning behind this. If you have to connect to many machine, and you want to use ssh for them, then you have to punch holes in your firewall to allow the connections through. If you use VPN then you only have one hole and you can still use ssh over it to get to all your servers.

I would prefer to have a solid as a rock firewall then one that has so many holes it looks like swiss cheese.

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted