Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm setting up a new webserver and I'm using quota so the users won't use up all the diskspace. I've got quota working properly and I've tried it and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using Quota with Apache vhosts

Hi,

I'm setting up a new webserver and I'm using quota so the users won't use up all the diskspace. I've got quota working properly and I've tried it and it works if for example a user logs in using the FTP and uploads a file etc.

However if a users uploads a file from their own site, for example a Wordpress blog, the file will be owned by the Apache owner and quota won't count that as the users quota as it's using the owned-by username to count the quota.

I have quota enabled on /var/www and the users html_docs are located like this: /var/www/<username>/html_doc

So I guess I could make a script that will change the owner of each file to the correct one and run it a couple of times a day, but there must be a more simple way of doing this?

Maybe there's a way of implementing quota into Apache?
    Any suggestion is appreciated!

Thanks,
    -Patric

EDIT:
    Just to be clear, I'm not looking for any bandwidth quota, just diskspace!

Just Joined!
    Checkout "mod_ruid" or suphp so that your uploaded files are owned by their user id from when they're uploaded/created.

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot! I tried mod_ruid2 and it worked like a charm and was easy to configure

Thanks again, this thread is solved!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close